Student goes above and beyond

Between her classes and involvement in organizations, Jaime Flores is pressed for time.  But she makes time to mentor at Buddy Systems because the program helps kids "feel like they can accomplish something"
Photo courtesy of TLT Dept.

A bio-chemistry class. A physiology and anatomy class. Being on the leadership board for REDZONE. Mentoring an at-risk youth. To say Jaime Flores is busy these days would be an understatement.

Because of her plethora of activities she was recently awarded the William R. Hearst/CSU Trustees̢۪ scholarship for Outstanding Achievement. She was honored on Tuesday with the $3,000 scholarship, along with the other 22 winners from each of the California State University campuses.

Students who are eligible to win the award have to demonstrate several qualities, including personal hardships, high-performance in academics, community service and financial need.

“Jaime is one of our most outstanding students and she has been a leader in community service through her work to promote good nutrition among youth,â€Â President John D. Welty explained in an e-mail statement of why he personally recommended Flores for the award.

A Smittcamp Family Honors College student, Flores met the criteria in all areas.

“I grew up in a single-parent household,â€Â said Flores. “While my mom was at work I helped raise my brother and sister.â€Â

Flores, who has a 3.98 grade point average, works as a nanny for a family in Fresno and every week she mentors a 10-year-old boy who attends a second chance school.

She does not lack in extracurricular activities either. She is involved with the Catholic Students Association, is a treasurer for the Council of President̢۪s Scholars, and does community service whenever she has time.

Flores, a Hollister, Calif. native, is a junior food and nutritional sciences major with an emphasis in dietetics. She has an enthusiasm for nutrition and how it can help or hinder the body̢۪s health.

She found her passion for nutrition through a 20-page research paper she was assigned as a freshman in high school. As an athlete in high school, Flores was involved in multiple sports and activities.

Because of her knowledge of nutrition and athletics, she realized how important it was to fuel her body with food all the time to keep her energy level up. “That was the start of it,â€Â said Flores. “Ever since then, I have had a passion for nutrition.â€Â

Flores, who would like to become a registered dietician after receiving her bachelor̢۪s degree, says with proper nutrition many people can be treated for their health ailments. Hoping to eventually pursue her master̢۪s in nutrition as well, Flores has a specific interest in diabetes.

“I have a lot family members with diabetes,â€Â Flores said. “I want to specialize in it.â€Â

She also has participated in Buddy Systems, a therapeutic horseback riding program for children with disabilities.

“Buddy Systems helps develop their motor skills,â€Â Flores said, explaining that the program reaches out to kids of all backgrounds. “There was a girl who was blind, an ex-gang member, drug and alcohol addicts who had overcome that.â€Â

Although volunteers such as Flores assist the children, Buddy Systems still leaves the children feeling proud of themselves, Flores said. “It helps them feel like they can accomplish something.â€Â

$100
$500

$100
$500

• R

Ralph MacchioSep 22, 2007 at 10:06 pm

what are the qualifications for the RedZone Leadership Board?

Is that not the student sports team fan club?

• R

Ralph MacchioSep 23, 2007 at 5:06 am

• Y

YesSep 21, 2007 at 11:29 am

The story is missing a vital bit if information for the male readers: Is she single?

• Y

YesSep 21, 2007 at 6:29 pm

• L

Lance ItoSep 21, 2007 at 10:40 am

not too shabby

• L

Lance ItoSep 21, 2007 at 5:40 pm

not too shabby