Sober students less rowdy, still want alcohol

It̢۪s been one year since the powers that be removed alcohol from Bulldog Stadium, and student reaction remains mixed.

Jason Trevino, a senior history major, said the no-alcohol policy was notable in the home football opener against Sacramento State.

The ban also means less money for the athletic department and ultimately the university, he said.

“I don’t think they should have banned it,â€Â he said. “I think they should bring it back, maybe control it for just a section.â€Â

Dietetics senior Clint Lara didn̢۪t go to the game, but said the fans would probably be less boisterous.

“It kind of kills the home team momentum,â€Â he said. “It’s good and bad.â€Â

There are other ways for unscrupulous students.

“Now we have to sneak it in instead of buying it,â€Â he said.

Others aren̢۪t sure why the policy went into effect.

Lara said it̢۪s to promote a family atmosphere, but Carly Cahoon, a health science senior, said it had to do with curtailing underage drinking.

“I think it’s worse off because people just get belligerently drunk before a game,â€Â she said.

Freshman Grace DeMarco, a liberal studies major, called the ban pointless.

“People just get drunk before the games,â€Â she said. “People are still drunk during the games.

“I don’t think it makes any sense. Either way, people are going to drink.â€Â

Steve Rendon, a junior history major, said he likes to drink.

“I’m a drinker,â€Â he said. “[The ban is] bad.â€Â

Rendon was more practical about it.

“If we’re not going to do so well this season, we need something to keep our minds busy.â€Â

$100
$500

$100
$500

JoOct 1, 2007 at 10:17 pm

Like this policy actually does anything. On my way out of the stadium Saturday night I passed a portion of the bench with a pile of at least 10 cans of beer under it. All the ban is doing is giving the liquor store across the street some awesome business and taking it away from the athletic department.

If they’re so worried about spilling of beer, just keep it in the cans instead of pouring it into cups.

JoOct 2, 2007 at 5:17 am

• K

KarenSep 29, 2007 at 7:09 am

It’s a double edge sword:

1. No selling of beer w/in the stadium has folks sneak it in & or consume it to an extent before the game.

2. No selling w/in the stadium = no spilling of beer onto others & truly keeps the anger down.

I like it.

My question is: How come unopened bags of chips, peanuts, snacks aren’t allowed in?? There’s more than enough folks that frequent the food stands when in the stadium?

• K

KarenSep 29, 2007 at 2:09 pm

It’s a double edge sword:

I like it.