Intramural sports keep students involved

Though the Fresno State football team has been playing for the past three weeks, the other football teams on campus have just begun their season.

The other football teams of course are the intramural flag football teams, which played their first games on Tuesday, kicking off the 2007-2008 intramural sports season.

The intramural program offers both division I and division II leagues with an estimated total of 10 different sports for both fall and spring seasons.

“Intramural sports at times could get competitive but is mainly targeted towards a fun environment,â€Â said Intramural Coordinator Lerin Munbell. “Everyone needs a break from school and a lot of students use it as an outlet to get away and have fun.â€Â

Sports include such staples as flag football, basketball, softball, volleyball and soccer along with other niche sports such as dodgeball, water polo, racquetball, volleyball and pingpong. These, along with a few other sports, are offered on multiple days a week at different times to accommodate students̢۪ busy class and work schedules.

“One of the best parts of the program is the variety it offers,â€Â Munbell said. “For example, flag football is available Tuesday through Friday from 4-5 p.m. In addition, there are also some co-ed sports.â€Â

Each contest runs about 50 minutes long per week, and takes place over the course of five weeks. A two-week single-elimination tournament caps off the season.

Sophomore Roland Salazar is in intramural sports for his second straight year, playing with his fraternity̢۪s team.

“Not only could you join a team that consists of all friends but it is a great way of meeting new people,â€Â Salazar said.

Munbell stated that there are a few ways to join. In order to play on a team one can sign up with friends or as a free agent. A free agent may be placed on a team or could recruit some friends to create their own team.

“Last year I heard about intramurals through the ROTC program I’m involved in,â€Â Salazar said. “I also saw flyers around campus but mainly in the North Gym.â€Â

The North Gym was home of the intramural office last year but has since been relocated to the Recreation Center.

“I was afraid that students wouldn’t know where to go and that some of the sports would struggle to make enough teams,â€Â Munbell said. “However, flag football reached the maximum and tied the record for most teams.â€Â

The goal of the program is to promote growth in non-traditional sports, Munbell said.

However, the last few years have brought an increase of participation in softball, single-gender basketball and football, while participation in volleyball and co-ed basketball has decreased.

Sophomore Chris Lavallee played co-ed softball last year.

“The program is organized and done well,â€Â Lavallee said. “I initially joined because I enjoyed sports in high school, but it is also a great way to stay active and fit.â€Â

One can get involved and stay active by simply going inside the Recreation Center and speaking with the Member Services Department. The cost to join is $20 per team.

Salazar said the intramural program motivates him every week.

“I always look forward to competing,â€Â he said.