His apathy is for the ̢۪Dogs

I don̢۪t know how many of you read Mike Osegueda̢۪s column in the Fresno Bee last Friday, but he doesn̢۪t have a very positive view of Fresno State football.

Not being positive in and of itself is not bad, but the way he broadcast negativity was problematic.

Let’s look at what he has to say.

Not two paragraphs after saying he writes that he’s “steadfast in his apathy toward the Bulldogs,â€Â Osegueda adds a list of his observations about the team’s influence in Fresno.

If Fresnans supported their local cultural arts as they did their local college football team, this city would be a much better place.

Undoubtedly. That’s true of the smallest community, if it’s within three counties of a half-reputable sports team — no special observation. The football team can’t quite be at fault for being too fun to watch for some people, can it? There’s no accounting for taste.

Maybe, just maybe, the football team gains for Fresno State keeps alumni involved. This is good. Alumni have money. Alumni donate to Fresno State’s ‘local cultural arts,’ if not also Fresno’s. At the very least, alumni establish scholarships.

The Bulldogs are part of Fresno State. They give alumni reason to remember their alma mater, and so have improved Fresno State.

Even if Fresno State won 100-0 in its opener against Sacramento State, there’s no reason that should be the lead story on all three 11 o’clock newscasts.

Except the only reason that pretty much ever determines the lead story behind any of the three 11 o̢۪ clock newscasts: news, especially local news, delivers what viewers will want to see.

The lead story particularly is what producers think people want to see most. Fresnans want to know about the ̢۪Dogs, even if Osegueda doesn̢۪t.

Bulldog-related news can get pretty bad, sometimes — like when a horrible “Billie Jeanâ€Â remake gets its own package — but if local channels air it, local channels think people want to see it. That’s all that’s involved.

Not Fresnans — and definitely not all Bay Area ‘transplants,’ as I’m one myself — are so disinterested in how wide of a margin Fresno routed Sacramento. He should get over it.

Anyway, if Osegueda watches local news for fair coverage of important things put in perspective, he’s got more problems than a clever comparative cliché.

If the Bulldog gang is such a problem on the streets of Fresno, Fresno State should change its colors and mascot.

I don̢۪t speak with any authority on this, but I̢۪m pretty sure the gang named itself after the team.

Who̢۪s to say that the team wouldn̢۪t inspire another mascot-themed gang if the athletic department did go through all the trouble of changing our slowly-but-surely nationally-recognizable mascot?

Just look how fierce the reaction to a new costume was, much less a new mascot.

A new mascot would really disenfranchise alumni, and might inspire a gang just the same. Everything risked, nothing gained.

His apathetic contempt for the team might be understandable, even warranted. But who̢۪s to say the ̢۪Dogs haven̢۪t done more good than harm?

Not too long after listing his thin observations, Osegueda tells us about his neighbor — a fan complete with a Bulldog flag — and how the neighbor is “a good guy.â€Â

That concession only emphasizes the most worrisome bit about this column — the tone.

He̢۪s excessively sarcastic, and I̢۪m pretty sure it̢۪s on purpose.

My call? He wants e-mail in his inbox, just to see if people are reading. Osegueda wants to incite reaction.

Sure, that̢۪s no special observation on my part. Columnists have been writing like this since there were columns to write. That doesn̢۪t make shallowly inflammatory writing any easier on the mind.

If he finds this post from an e-mail, or from a mutual friend, or from one of his routine Google searches, all the better. He might learn something about writing with honest delicacy, rather than just feinting it.

If Osegueda reads this, he should keep reading.

It’s not that you are apathetic to Bulldog football, or that you wrote about it in your column. It’s more that while you were at it you pushed every button from here to River Park and — your neighbor is “a good guyâ€Â — pretended you didn’t.

Bad taste, sir, and poor form. There̢۪s no accounting for distaste, but I̢۪ll make an exception for yours.

Don̢۪t bother e-mailing a response. It̢۪ll only encourage him.

$100
$500

$100
$500

SabrinaSep 14, 2007 at 2:38 pm

Never mind I found it. The first live bulldog mascot was named “Touch down” in the 1930’s, the second live one was known as “Halftime” during the Jim Sweeney era, and the third one was crowned “Victor E. Bulldog” on Aug. 12th 2006. And “Time out” was created in 1984. http://www.fresnostate.net/MASCOT06/bulldogmascotStory.html

So back to what “Just Helpin” said, you mean to tell me that the “bulldog gang” has been around since the 1930’s?

SabrinaSep 14, 2007 at 9:38 pm

SabrinaSep 14, 2007 at 2:30 pm

how long has Fresno State been referred to as the “Bulldogs”?

SabrinaSep 14, 2007 at 9:30 pm

Benjamin BaxterSep 14, 2007 at 9:45 am

Check out the responses here and here.

Benjamin BaxterSep 14, 2007 at 4:45 pm

Check out the responses here and here.

JimSep 13, 2007 at 8:35 am

The guy is just trying to get peopel worked up. Who really cares what he has to say.

JimSep 13, 2007 at 3:35 pm

• X

Xango VulviisSep 12, 2007 at 1:50 pm

Parkside Bulldogs—-woof, woof. Ain’t got nothing on the Kings Canyon Sunbird gang.

• X

Xango VulviisSep 12, 2007 at 8:50 pm

Benjamin BaxterSep 12, 2007 at 11:10 am

Click here to read an argument explaining why the football team is important.

Benjamin BaxterSep 12, 2007 at 6:10 pm

Just HelpinSep 11, 2007 at 3:56 pm

The school’s mascot was actually named after the gang. Not the other way around. The footbal team wanted a mean, intimidating mascot so they chose the biggest gang in town.

Just HelpinSep 11, 2007 at 10:56 pm

Sanchez SmearSep 10, 2007 at 5:08 pm

Guys, chill!!

Sanchez SmearSep 11, 2007 at 12:08 am

Guys, chill!!

Benjamin BaxterSep 10, 2007 at 4:57 pm

As far as seeing the front page of The Collegian, you can find it on the right side of your screen, between the podcast section and a button ad.

Benjamin BaxterSep 10, 2007 at 11:57 pm

Benjamin BaxterSep 10, 2007 at 4:38 pm

I state that I infer he’s doing it to amuse himself and stir up crap. I attack his main points as not being thought through very well.

While my initial reaction was to be offended — I readily admit this — that’s really the basis of my whole point, anyway. He’s just trying to offend people rather than present an argument with valid solutions. I tend to like valid solutions.

I try to think through even my blogs pretty well. I’m on the clock, y’know?

If you agree, I’ll consider the bickering over.

Where are you posting from such that you see the online version only?

Benjamin BaxterSep 10, 2007 at 11:38 pm

While my initial reaction was to be offended ”” I readily admit this ”” that’s really the basis of my whole point, anyway. He’s just trying to offend people rather than present an argument with valid solutions. I tend to like valid solutions.

whateverSep 10, 2007 at 4:29 pm

well it might be unfair to say he’s only doing it to amuse himself and stir up crap. You have no idea what the intention in his column is.

You’re basically saying a newspaper column (or at least one about this topic) shouldn’t be controversial. It sounds much more like you were offended by it and are now trying to rationalize your instant reaction to the piece.

Now this is turning into bickering (on my part) but my initial comments were because I thought this was on the front page of the college paper (it was that way online this morning, probably just a mistake) so I felt it was worth commenting. On the blog site is another issue and not a big deal.

whateverSep 10, 2007 at 11:29 pm

Billie BlumpkinSep 10, 2007 at 2:12 pm

Bulldogs rule!!! No one can keep us down!

Billie BlumpkinSep 10, 2007 at 9:12 pm

Benjamin BaxterSep 10, 2007 at 1:03 pm

Having just read that last bit again, maybe I am asking him to be fair.

I apologize to all of you for writing in a blog that I say he should think his arguments through and avoid stirring things up just because it amuses him.

Unreasonable.

Benjamin BaxterSep 10, 2007 at 8:03 pm

Unreasonable.

Benjamin BaxterSep 10, 2007 at 12:23 pm

“…convince us that football makes the university a better academic institution and I’ll be impressed.”

I don’t know about convincing you, per se, but I’ve already written and edited a relatively in-depth argument. I was going to save it for a dry spell, but considering the interest I’ll post it on Wednesday.

To clarify my biggest beef with the column, Osegueda is purposefully trying to get a reaction. I suppose I fell for the ploy, in a way.

That he writes in such silly jabs — “commemorative scratch-and-sniff tattoo of Pat Hill’s Fu Manchu” — is certainly out-of-context and inflammatory.

I’m not asking him to be fair — it’s a column, after all. This sort of thing, I suppose, comes standard.

But it shouldn’t.

Benjamin BaxterSep 10, 2007 at 7:23 pm

That he writes in such silly jabs ”” “commemorative scratch-and-sniff tattoo of Pat Hill’s Fu Manchu” ”” is certainly out-of-context and inflammatory.

I’m not asking him to be fair ”” it’s a column, after all. This sort of thing, I suppose, comes standard.

But it shouldn’t.

• H

Heather BillingsSep 10, 2007 at 11:55 am

If you think the reaction against the new Timeout is bad, you can imagine the backlash that would occur if the administration tried to change the mascot to a wave.

Besides, have you seen Pepperdine’s mascot? I have, and I can truly say that there is nothing quite as comical as a wave attempting to inspire fear in the hearts of the opposition.

Personally, I don’t think dumping on the home team is good form, no matter how badly they may play. There’s such a thing as having pride in your roots.

• H

Heather BillingsSep 10, 2007 at 6:55 pm

• N

NanookSep 10, 2007 at 9:49 am

y’all is some haters

• N

NanookSep 10, 2007 at 4:49 pm

y’all is some haters

whateverSep 10, 2007 at 9:36 am

Noonan makes some great points, and I think Osegueda makes good ones as well. I pretty much agree with him, not that I matter.

But the non-argument of “Who’s to say the team has done less bad than good” is a real cop-out. Maybe you should explain why football matters, instead of attacking Osegueda’s opinion and tone.

I know it’s fun but convince us that football makes the university a better academic institution and I’ll be impressed.

You think he really put into print that his neighbor is a “good guy” and meant for it to sarcastic? I’m not sure what the Bee’s circulation is but you can guarantee his neighbor read it and didn’t take it that way.

Osegueda’s whole point is that there are more important things than football that the town should be interested in. Sure, people like it and they should get what they want, but it’s unfortunate you couldn’t get 50,000 people together for anything else.

whateverSep 10, 2007 at 4:36 pm

Davis CarrSep 10, 2007 at 9:31 am

RE: team name

I’d prefer the name “California State Red Wave”—-like Alabama Crimson Tide. It is unique and not played out like “Bulldogs”—Georgia, Yale, Mississippi…..on and on. Plus, we are the team of the Valley (hence the big “V”—-not just this scrotal itch of a city.

Davis CarrSep 10, 2007 at 4:31 pm

RE: team name

danny noonanSep 10, 2007 at 8:29 am

Didn’t read Osegueda’s column but the points are mostly valid. Let a man have an opinion without trying to counter.

I’ll admit one thing—-for the love and support the Dog football team gets from its local fanbase, one would imagine the on field results to be a little better——Utah had their season in 2004. Boise had their season of glory last year. We’re waiting (and too busy getting beat by the likes of La. Tech and Utah State).

Such a cult sports team devotion without interests in other activities—local arts, music, downtown revitalization, etc. can have disastrous consequences.

If the story of Fresno State beating a 1-AA team was leading all three (four) local newscasts that fateful Saturday night, then Fresno (and society on a much larger scale) has to take a long hard look—–folks think we’re California’s backwater heartland to begin with. We don’t need to fan those flames.

danny noonanSep 10, 2007 at 3:29 pm