Greek values: why not try dry?

Greek-letter organizations have purposes. It’s no admission to note their mission.

Delta Zeta exists, in part, “to promote the moral and social culture of its members, and to develop plans for guidance and unity in action.â€Â

Sigma Chi would “cultivate and maintain the high ideals of friendship, justice, and learning.â€Â

Kappa Kappa Gamma wants to involve “its members in a close bond of friendship, seeking to instill in them a spirit of mutual love and helpfulness.â€Â

I don’t say these organizations are represented in the comments of a recent article. I don’t say that these specific purposes are violated. I say they seem to imply a common ground — righteousness; meaningful self-reflection; a healthy, social atmosphere — that seems to be largely ignored.

After all, these comments quickly diverged from baseless bashing of The Collegian into mob-like bickering.

Not the least of these attacks were directed towards a poster who commented on the death of Danny Daniels, a former Fresno State student who drank himself to oblivion somewhere in the vicinity of what was then the FIJI house.

An angry commentator argued it was unfair to bring up Daniels. After all, the person who posted above him didn̢۪t even know Daniels personally. Maybe, then, I can speak with authority.

I knew Danny Daniels personally. He was a fellow trombone player in the Bulldog Marching Band my freshman year.

We weren’t best of friends, and I didn’t even really think too highly of him, but I did know him — his death wasn’t just some tall tale I heard thirdhand. I never wished him dead, but then he was.

Whether commentators have that perspective, it’s not like the reference to an underage drinking accountability article is out of left field — Daniels was underage, and he drank. He was also in the company of fraternity brothers at the de facto now-defunct FIJI house.

Daniels is dead. The appearance of FIJI’s culpability may be false and based on stereotypes, but maybe Greeks should consider disassociating themselves from a drinking environment.

Whether or not FIJI had anything to do with it, that’s another story.

Whether or not their official line was truthful, that’s another story.

Whether or not Daniels was motivated more by his alleged suicidal depression and whether or not his mental state was exacerbated by lethal amounts of alcohol, that’s another story.

The important thing is that Daniels’ death can’t just be dismissed as a sad event, with Greek life at least a backdrop. It’s integral to Fresno State Greeks to not forget, and integral to any underage drinking with any Greeks around.

If Greeks are the best of the best, or really aspire to be in line with the rest of their purposes, then they should be all the more diligent, all the more a good example for fellow students across the campus.

In my mind, that would involve, at the very least, following the state, local and federal law to the letter.

California statute 25658(a) says, and I quote: “Every person who sells, furnishes, gives or causes to be sold, furnished or given away any alcoholic beverage to any person under 21, is guilty of a misdemeanor.â€Â

My source is a UCLA-affilated Greek Web site.

Why don̢۪t Greeks, if they really want the higher moral ground, self-impose a mandatory no-recreational-drinking policy for all members in good standing? The penalty for breaking the policy would be increasingly severe, ending with expulsion.

Fresno State students drink. In fact, Fresno State students probably drink a whole lot more than zero to three drinks when they party.

Is it unfair, though, to suggest that if Fresno State Greeks really want to set the example they should go the extra mile?

Going dry isn’t that hard. I’ve yet to imbibe, and I already finished college.

The best part: if your entire fraternity or sorority goes dry, there won̢۪t ever be the question of alcohol-related accountability again.

Your Greek organization will have an iron-clad policy, open to the harshest scrutiny. Your Greek organization will garner unprecedented respect if you keep to it. Your Greek organization will be all the stronger for it.

****

In other news: full tenure saves journalism prof; Disney phone flops miserably; and I can̢۪t help but think of a botched execution.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Benjamin BaxterOct 21, 2007 at 7:49 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment

I’m an alumnus of a very active music service sorority, to be perfectly honest. When I omitted that information in a previous thread, someone called me out on it. That’s why I chose to include it in this discussion.

You can bet that if a music or business fraternity had a fraternity function where members or participants were drunk, or if the fraternity in question was historically the background when there were drunk, disorderly or dead participants, that music or business fraternity would be seriously called out.

You assume we were fishing for the story. I can’t clarify much further than to say The Collegian wasn’t. The Collegian received an unsolicited communication about the incident in question.

The only other time The Collegian wrote about Greek-related drinking in recent memory were the Danny Daniels death stories.

That’s a little newsworthy.

Who’s to say we aren’t working on dorm drinking stories? I can’t comment on that, as the story — if it exists — is a work-in-progress which — if it exists — would be stymied by an uncooperative University Courtyard.

Give us a little credit.

Benjamin BaxterOct 21, 2007 at 12:49 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment

That’s a little newsworthy.

Give us a little credit.

• L

Let it Go!Oct 19, 2007 at 7:31 pm

Greeks complain that they’re disproportionately represented in alcohol stories.The way to fix this is to not be featured at all in alcohol stories.”

we wouldnt be featured in any stories if it werent for you fishing for something to write about.

like FSU senior non-greek pointed out there is much more drinking in the dorms and bulldogs than anywhere else…so why dont you write a story about that instead of pinpointing every alcohol related issue on true greeks.

you also said that you yourself were greek. what greek organization are you affiliated with? a music or buisness fraternities dont count. yes they are greek, but they dont get scrutinized like the greek houses on fraternity and sorority mall do.

• L

Let it Go!Oct 20, 2007 at 2:31 am

Benjamin BaxterOct 18, 2007 at 7:20 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment

What people don’t seem to understand is that I am, in fact, addressing a problem. It’s a very specific problem that Greeks complain about all the time.

Greeks complain that they’re disproportionately represented in alcohol stories. The way to fix this is to not be featured at all in alcohol stories.

How could they do this? Dry houses. Problem solved. The most fascinating part of this exchange is that students prefer the problem to this solution.

Students everywhere — Greeks and non-Greeks — want their booze, and quick. If Greeks want to set themselves apart, if they want to be the tip-top of the cusp of forward-thinking individuals or if Greeks want any feeling of self-preservation, what great sacrifice is the self-inflicted abolition?

What is the average grade-point average among all Fresno State students? I maintain that the average Fresno State student, as Fresno State is a local, degree-churning commuter school, isn’t anything academically special. Grade inflation doesn’t help.

In any case, to say Greeks do better than the average student isn’t necessarily a compliment to either.

As far as The Collegian being a tabloid at best — a specious claim. It’s not broadsheet, and it’s not The Inquirer. Try our opinion pieces on for size, or the Web site, or every single news or features or sports story other than “Who’s in charge?”

That’s your call. The average Fresno State student might agree with you, but the average Fresno State student — underage drinking and all — has been wrong before.

Benjamin BaxterOct 19, 2007 at 2:20 am

The Collegian Staff Comment

• F

FSU Senior non-greekOct 18, 2007 at 5:25 pm

What you fail to mention in those GPA’s is that currently the greek average is higher than the general college average. As well as there have been more alcohol related incidents at the dorms and the bulldogs than all of the greek houses combined over the last 4 years. This is why the Collegian is on such a downfall. There used to be good journalism when I first got here. Now its tabloids at best. You could complain about the Greeks all you want but in the end you have to realize is they aren’t any worse than the general population in fact I don’t recall reading about Greeks driving cars into bathrooms. Yes Danny Daniels died and I had to help my girlfriend through that as she knew him better than you; they went to high school together. She and many others have been torn up by the experience and placed blame on themselves even though they weren’t at the parties when he was drinking his light away. You can blame the Greeks all you want but it won’t bring him back. You could call for dry houses but that doesn’t mean you’ll stop the biggest underground drinking communities in the dorms and in the bulldogs. You’re looking for scapegoats and not addressing the problem.

• F

FSU Senior non-greekOct 19, 2007 at 12:25 am

• U

UnderdogOct 11, 2007 at 4:25 pm

You’re tough…the stressors of social responsibility can be rough rendering a person ‘submissive’ in a load of panic. Do you feel ‘me’. Obviously, there are other deviate groups (and I use the term loosely) doing a lot of drinking on the outside, it’s just the Greeks are the ones getting caught and mangled all over the Collegian board.

The Greek element nevertheless have a purple eye for success, handed down to them from generation; taken to develop young leaders. One day you got the next day you don’t. I’d like to ‘see’ (you know what I mean) certain groups in society fight to keep their crown honestly.

Studies show the druggies, like alcoholics alike are generally healthy among their own, because the support each other. Then they get to the real world where nobody is there to support them, and there is a constant reminder they are doing wrong. Then they get to know what burn out really is, and nobody what you press on. What it is to be men and women in a fast paced environment…got what it takes?

Here here…to you pagans (huh), the love of knowledge,

And wisdom.

• U

UnderdogOct 11, 2007 at 11:25 pm

And wisdom.

Benjamin BaxterOct 10, 2007 at 1:48 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment

“…I think it’s ridiculous to even imply that its only the Greeks that drink and get drunk more than anyone else…”

This is an extention of the bandwagon fallacy. Read: popularity argument.

As posted in another thread, it’s no secret that I am in a Greek organization, albeit one without a house. I know a fair amount of the ideals of brotherhood and sisterhood.

Just because you don’t like how I say tetotalling is a solution doesn’t mean it isn’t one. When Greeks say they don’t care that a fellow Greek drinks or not as long as letters aren’t involved and that they represent the organization well, as you do, that leaves open baseless accusations about underage drinking, whether or not they’re true.

I know what I’m talking about. It seems you don’t know what I’m talking about, instead more concerned with assuming I’m bashing Greeks rather than offering a straightforward and effective if unpopular solution.

If no Greeks drink, then the wider assumptions that Greeks do would be entirely baseless.

If no of-age Greeks drink, then no underage Greeks would be around Greek-owned alcohol whatsoever.

My suggestion wouldn’t eliminate the occasional ignorant remark, but booze-less active Greeks of all ages would be quite the role model.

Deny this.

Benjamin BaxterOct 10, 2007 at 8:48 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment

Deny this.

• L

Let it Go!Oct 9, 2007 at 11:47 pm

you are ridiculous. you are running out of arguments, so youre just fishing for non-related new ones. when did i say popularity was a defense?

youre not in the greek system, what would you know about brotherhood and sisterhood? nothing.

im not going to tell a fellow greek member who is over 21 that they shouldnt drink because they are in the greek system. they can do what they want, as long as they dont drink in letters, and represent our letters well.

if you talk to any greek they will agree, we dont have alcohol related problems. leave us alone baxter. you dont know what youre talking about.

• L

Let it Go!Oct 10, 2007 at 6:47 am

Benjamin BaxterOct 9, 2007 at 7:38 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment

You miss my only point. I’m saying that if Greeks stop drinking, all alcohol problems will go away for the Greeks. Hard-headed people don’t force Greeks to drink. Greeks drink probably just about as much as any student.

Popularity is not a defense at all, and definitely not one as good as as abstinence.

Just because there are 21+ members, why wouldn’t they drop the booze if they really thought about how their brotherhood or sisterhood would benefit?

I don’t create problems, at least in the blog. This doesn’t create a problem, anyway. It offers a solution.

I didn’t say you would like it. I only said it would work.

Benjamin BaxterOct 10, 2007 at 2:38 am

The Collegian Staff Comment

DrinkingOct 8, 2007 at 10:16 pm

I think this Baxter guy should get drunk to gain some perspective on the issue.

DrinkingOct 9, 2007 at 5:16 am

• L

Let it Go!Oct 7, 2007 at 4:35 pm

you are missing one of my MANY points. The greeks do not have any issues besides hard headed people like yourself, that are creating the problems for us.

If you dont agree with partying thats fine, but stop trying to say that if ONLY the greeks stop drinking then all alcohol related issues will go away.

just stop fishing for stories that are none of your business. you are not greek, therefore whatever we do does not concern you.

• L

Let it Go!Oct 7, 2007 at 11:35 pm

• F

fezzikOct 7, 2007 at 4:30 pm

you are right you wont be seeing me there!!!!

• F

fezzikOct 7, 2007 at 11:30 pm

Benjamin BaxterOct 7, 2007 at 3:19 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment

How clever. Guess I won’t be seeing you next year at River Way, then.

You completely miss the point, previous poster. I never said the Greeks get any more drunk than anyone else. I just said that going completely dry would solve your problems.

It will.

Benjamin BaxterOct 7, 2007 at 10:19 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment

It will.

• F

fezzikOct 6, 2007 at 5:18 pm

mud mud glourious mud nothing quite like it for cooling the blood

a bold fezzik was standing one day. all of the kids thought he was creepy and gaaaaaaaay.

• F

fezzikOct 7, 2007 at 12:18 am

• L

Let it Go!Oct 6, 2007 at 4:59 pm

Benjamin- I̢۪m sure Danny Daniels mom wouldn̢۪t agree, and his incident was unfortunate but the simple fact of the matter is that underage drinking is going to occur whether your in the Greek system or not. Just because the fraternities have alcohol doesn̢۪t mean for a second that they are pouring it down your throat. People need to be responsible for their own decisions, and know their own limit. I think it̢۪s ridiculous to even imply that its only the Greeks that drink and get drunk more than anyone else. Its also crap to imply that if we stop drinking then all the alcohol related incidences with disappear- If a person is going to drink, they are going to do it no matter what.

As you put it you have ‘yet to imbibe yourself’, well that’s great for you and your personal decisions, but not everyone has these same views, so just because you have stayed dry doesn’t entitle everyone else to, and it also doesn’t make someone a bad person if they choose to drink. Greeks or not.

Whether people want to believe it or not, Greeks have more rules than anyone else. We ARE held up to high standards, but where it matters: school, the community, and with each other. Like Erika said, those statistics are from not just one person, you try getting 50 people to get straight A̢۪s. For some, school is just very difficult for them, and like some of us, Benjamin, I̢۪m sure you̢۪ve had some challenging courses, or a rough semester. Some of the most studious people have a tough time in school, so its crap to judge the Greek system, and blame alcohol because the GPA̢۪s don̢۪t look amazing.
    “The best part: if your entire fraternity or sorority goes dry, there won’t ever be the question of alcohol-related accountability again.â€Â With this statement you are just fishing for a story to write. Why is it just because we are Greek it means that we are never allowed to drink, and whenever a problem anywhere near campus that has to do with alcohol it’s always brought back to the Greeks? STOP TRYING TO BLAME OTHER PEOPLE. There are plenty of people that are brothers and sisters that are over 21. So why is it that just because they affiliated with the Greek system that they are never allowed to drink even though they are 21? The Best part: If the entire Greek system goes dry How about the collegian staff, the band, the athletic teams, the University staff, or hey how about the Fresno PD do the same thing. Newsflash: it’s never going to happen. So stop trying to blame the Greeks for issues that aren’t going to be resolved if we go dry.
    I know that we as Greeks are going to have stereotypes, but back off. Seriously, we ARE held accountable, so just because you are not informed of every decision that is made at one of our meetings doesn̢۪t mean that our main goal for the day is to get drunk. So unless you have actually experienced the Greek system first hand or if you just open up your mind, and stop being so close minded about the Greeks, you will have your stereotypes and judgment- which is unfortunate, since there are some of the greatest, most hard-working, and NON-judgmental people I̢۪ve ever met through the Greek system.

• L

Let it Go!Oct 6, 2007 at 11:59 pm

Benjamin- I’m sure Danny Daniels mom wouldn’t agree, and his incident was unfortunate but the simple fact of the matter is that underage drinking is going to occur whether your in the Greek system or not. Just because the fraternities have alcohol doesn’t mean for a second that they are pouring it down your throat. People need to be responsible for their own decisions, and know their own limit. I think it’s ridiculous to even imply that its only the Greeks that drink and get drunk more than anyone else. Its also crap to imply that if we stop drinking then all the alcohol related incidences with disappear- If a person is going to drink, they are going to do it no matter what.

Whether people want to believe it or not, Greeks have more rules than anyone else. We ARE held up to high standards, but where it matters: school, the community, and with each other. Like Erika said, those statistics are from not just one person, you try getting 50 people to get straight A’s. For some, school is just very difficult for them, and like some of us, Benjamin, I’m sure you’ve had some challenging courses, or a rough semester. Some of the most studious people have a tough time in school, so its crap to judge the Greek system, and blame alcohol because the GPA’s don’t look amazing.
    “The best part: if your entire fraternity or sorority goes dry, there won’t ever be the question of alcohol-related accountability again.” With this statement you are just fishing for a story to write. Why is it just because we are Greek it means that we are never allowed to drink, and whenever a problem anywhere near campus that has to do with alcohol it’s always brought back to the Greeks? STOP TRYING TO BLAME OTHER PEOPLE. There are plenty of people that are brothers and sisters that are over 21. So why is it that just because they affiliated with the Greek system that they are never allowed to drink even though they are 21? The Best part: If the entire Greek system goes dry How about the collegian staff, the band, the athletic teams, the University staff, or hey how about the Fresno PD do the same thing. Newsflash: it’s never going to happen. So stop trying to blame the Greeks for issues that aren’t going to be resolved if we go dry.
    I know that we as Greeks are going to have stereotypes, but back off. Seriously, we ARE held accountable, so just because you are not informed of every decision that is made at one of our meetings doesn’t mean that our main goal for the day is to get drunk. So unless you have actually experienced the Greek system first hand or if you just open up your mind, and stop being so close minded about the Greeks, you will have your stereotypes and judgment- which is unfortunate, since there are some of the greatest, most hard-working, and NON-judgmental people I’ve ever met through the Greek system.

• E

ErikaOct 1, 2007 at 9:01 am

Has anyone bothered to see the improvement in GPAs that the greek system has made over the past 6+ years! From an overall barely 2.0 to 2.8. Ya its not that good, but for houses with over 50 members, I say they must have been doing something right to make that improvement.

KKG 3.04!!!! Highest GPA on the mall, but I wouldn’t expect any less! Almost to Pi, damn girls keep it up!!!! I hope my 4.0 helped out with that! ; ) Great Job too Phi Mu!! And boys you are improving more and more every year! Good Job!

Continue supporting one another! Besides obviously without the support, the greek system would just be full of bitter little men/women like some people on here! 🙂

• E

ErikaOct 1, 2007 at 4:01 pm

Benjamin BaxterSep 30, 2007 at 2:58 pm

Would Danny Daniels’ mother agree?

Benjamin BaxterSep 30, 2007 at 9:58 pm

Would Danny Daniels’ mother agree?

• G

Get over itSep 28, 2007 at 3:55 pm

Why don’t you guys just get over it and talk about more important issues than someone getting drunk at a party. Doesn’t that happen everywhere? Even students in the dorm get drunk right in front of thier RA’s faces. Get over it.

There are more important things you could be talking about.

• G

Get over itSep 28, 2007 at 10:55 pm

WhateverSep 28, 2007 at 3:35 pm

While those are some pretty sorry GPAs, we should all know that the working world isn’t usually interested much in GPA.

And I assume many Greek students plan to get into business, where networking, specific job skills and social skills matter much more than history or chemistry grades.

Now if this was the Future Teachers Association of America or something, I’d be alarmed.

More room at the top for the rest of us true academics! Those guys can toga all damn day for all I care. Keep up the good work fund-raising!

WhateverSep 28, 2007 at 10:35 pm

Benjamin BaxterSep 28, 2007 at 2:56 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment

Not really. This is accurate up to Spring 2007, and there haven’t been any grades since then, and won’t be until finals.

What’s really sobering with those GPAs are that they’re averages. There are people with higher GPAs, and there are people lower than that.

Five or six years ago, it looks like some fraternities didn’t have an average of a 2.0 GPA. That’s a real ouch.

Benjamin BaxterSep 28, 2007 at 9:56 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment

• F

FSU AlumSep 28, 2007 at 2:38 pm

Although these gradepoint averages seem low, they are from several years ago. Also they was no comparison with, lets say the athletic teams. I sure would like to see the comparison!!

• F

FSU AlumSep 28, 2007 at 9:38 pm

DayumSep 28, 2007 at 12:49 pm

Those are some pretty lousy GPAs.

DayumSep 28, 2007 at 7:49 pm

Those are some pretty lousy GPAs.

Mike FosterSep 28, 2007 at 11:44 am

How about Straight A’s period.

http://www.csufresno.edu/studentactivities/programs/greeklife/reports.shtml

Check the academic performance history of most of the greek organizations from the last few years. Ouch.

Mike FosterSep 28, 2007 at 6:44 pm

How about Straight A’s period.

WhateverSep 28, 2007 at 11:10 am

I say it would be much more impressive if Greek students were required to get straight A’s while intoxicated during class. That would be much more of a feat.

WhateverSep 28, 2007 at 6:10 pm