Golf looking to regain footing

Mike Watney is doing what he can to shake off last season—one of the worst in his tenure coaching Men’s golf.

“We just did not have a good year and we didn’t qualify for the NCAA,â€Â Watney said.

The goal for this year is to win the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) Championship and to “make wavesâ€Â in the NCAA, Watney said.

Last year̢۪s team had many first-year players who were matched up against veterans from other teams.

Now that the young players have more experience, they are expected to perform much better.

There were a few players who ended last season on a high note.

Sophomore Grant Doverspike won the WAC Championship Tournament last season and was named First-team all-conference.

He also received the team̢۪s Most Outstanding Player Award and Outstanding Freshman.

“Coming in, one of my goals last season was to win at least one tournament,â€Â Doverspike said. “Fortunately I won the tournament that counted, the WAC Championship.â€Â

Along with Doverspike, junior Matt Ryan was an all-conference golfer. Ryan was also named the teams̢۪ Most Valuable Player.

“I think we’re going to do really good,â€Â Ryan said. “We are going to surprise some people this year.â€Â

Although a goal is to be the conference champions, Ryan is anticipating the USC Southwest Invitational due to its competition and location.

Matt Shaw, a junior from Clovis, is another player to watch, Watney said.

He was selected as the co-captain this year and received the team̢۪s Bulldog Award for being an excellent teammate and outstanding sportsmanship.

Although he will not be playing in the first tournament of the season, he is expected to play in all remaining tournaments.

“He has more experience than anyone on the team,â€Â Ryan said. “He’s pretty much the team leader.â€Â

Michael Gideon, a freshman from Lancaster, Calif., was able to beat his teammates and win a spot in the team̢۪s first tournament.

“We have definitely improved a lot and are going to be a lot better this year,â€Â Doverspike said. “Gideon is a really good freshman and will give our team depth.â€Â

The men̢۪s golf team was ranked 43rd in the September issue of Golf Digest.

“I’m glad we’re on the list but we’ve been ranked higher than that,â€Â Watney said. “Forty-third does not [excite me].â€Â

The team has been ranked as high as third in the country, Watney said.

“I really do think that people’s games are going to be elevated this year,â€Â Watney said. “It might not happen in the first tournament or two but we are going to have a pretty darn good year.â€Â

The team̢۪s first tournament is the Oregon State Invitational on Sept. 17.

The Bulldogs host the Fresno State Lexus Classic March 3-4, 2008.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Blumpkin FlyntSep 16, 2007 at 9:21 pm

Bad year? No NCAA tournament? This is Fresno State……………………..what’s new?

Get these non-spectator, non-team sports out of here. Cross country and golf are not intended for an audience. And BTW, We have the SMC—–Add men’s volleyball, women’s gymnastics, wrestling, and some other indoor or team sports.

Blumpkin FlyntSep 17, 2007 at 4:21 am