Apathetic students fail to take advantage of campus offerings

THERE ARE A lot of events that happen here on campus but it just doesn̢۪t seem like anyone really cares.

That̢۪s the impression that I get at least. Events, even those that appear to be pretty hyped up, don̢۪t get the attention of students. With the exception of football, athletics don̢۪t really draw many students either.

This is a real problem here. Students don̢۪t seem to care, have time or know about events on campus. While football games seem to draw the biggest crowds, they̢۪re never sold out and the majority of people attending the games are not students.

Of course, football is always a crowd pleaser, but what about other Fresno State sports? Women̢۪s soccer and volleyball play during the same time of the year as football and never get the attention that they should. No offense to the football program, but the team hasn̢۪t done much to uphold Fresno State pride, or even had a winning record for a while. So why does it draw big crowds?

Although we have a multimillion dollar arena — the best in the CSU system by the way — basketball doesn’t get much attention from students either. Students are offered about 2,000 free tickets per game, but they still don’t take advantage.

Granted, for a majority of students on campus there are probably more important things to do during the week. Let’s face it — who wants to spend any more time on campus than they need to?

Consider the list of things we have to think about once we get on campus: finding a parking spot, tests, long lunch lines, tests, professors, no library, student fees, homework, tests.

The list goes on.

For example, many struggling college students know you can get a pizza at Little Caesar̢۪s for $5.

But where is that money going to come from? Not from all the change under your couch cushions. That money is coming from our paychecks.

Most of us have to work and no matter how much we work, all we can afford are those $5 pizzas.

Our jobs are important to us.

But we all need a break from spending and that̢۪s why students should pay attention to events held on campus.

There was an event held at The Bucket last semester that had the potential to have a big turnout — but it didn’t. This event featured music and even provided free food.

Still, no one came.

Yes your job is important. Without it how could you afford to go to clubs, bars, or watch the occasional overpriced movie at the theater?

But did you know that there are a couple of times during the semester when movies are shown for free on campus?

Heck, you can even get free tickets to movies that are in theaters.

Everyone loves to spend time with his or her friends, but there are cost effective ways of doing that on-campus.

Many different clubs and organizations provide food at their meetings. There̢۪s always the Rec Center for a free workout.

There are free concerts during lunch time and sometimes scheduled at the Satellite Student Union.

Even tailgates before football games sometimes provide free tickets for students.

In a nutshell, there is a lot to do on campus. Much of the time, these events are free to students. Sometimes they offer free food, which is important for college students.

And frankly, free movies, games and concerts is a good way to take a break from worrying about parking, professors, tests and all the rest.

Vicente Reyes is a senior at Fresno State majoring is Mass Communication and Journalism with emphases in Digital Media and Print Journalism, as well as a minor in history. He is patiently counting down the hours until Halo 3 comes out.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• R

Ralph MacchioSep 25, 2007 at 12:08 pm

This student population (and to be sure, city) lacks a certain culture. The arts, special guest speakers giving lectures on time travel and the time continuum, and poetry readings at the Bucket are hardly going to get people around here interested. Fresno State students are more interested in “Pledging, bro!…..dude this frat is off the chain, homie!” And female students more interested in buying the latest pair of gaudy, oversized and ugly Coach sunglasses.

• R

Ralph MacchioSep 25, 2007 at 7:08 pm

• F

FresnoSep 25, 2007 at 11:34 am

No one in this town is really excited about anything besides football and getting drunk. If you can somehow incorporate that into your events, you might see results.

• F

FresnoSep 25, 2007 at 6:34 pm

JessicaSep 24, 2007 at 4:54 pm

I completely agree with this article. I work for a few offices on campus, and on a committee that constantly put on excellent events for students that are highly unattended. I would love to see more involvement from students, but I just don’t know how to get it. Even after constant advertisement in the Collegian, flyers around campus and FREE stuff, students still don’t come!

What can we do to get students there? Any ideas would be helpful.

JessicaSep 24, 2007 at 11:54 pm

Al BSep 24, 2007 at 12:12 pm

The university needs a better resource for displaying activities on campus. While the event calendar is helpful it is not informative at all. Only barebones information is posted. How come the event calendar does not have an RSS feed? Why not have a paragraph available for each event to explain what will be going on. For some the best resource is the collegian on Mondays but such information is forgotten during the week.

Al BSep 24, 2007 at 7:12 pm