Alternate campus study areas prove insufficient

September 2006 saw the ground-breaking ceremony for the new Henry Madden Library. In preparation for the closure of the library, the university compiled a list of alternate study areas.

Today̢۪s issue of The Collegian features an article detailing, among other issues, insights from students regarding the feasibility and efficacy of these areas. Their responses are largely negative, and we agree with them.

For instance, the University Student Union, while listed as one of these locations, functions as more of a social area than anything else. Even the lobby, the most reasonable of the enumerated study zones in the USU, has its weaknesses, not the least of which being the limited seating.

These are only exacerbated by the constant traffic to and from the other floors of the building, particularly the Pavilion lower area that houses the food court and bowling alley, among other amenities.

Furthermore, while open to all students, we suspect the majority of students using these areas in the late afternoon and evening are those who live on campus. That said, approximately half of the listed areas and many of those available at night are located east of Maple Avenue, about half-a-mile from campus housing. For those living on campus, the journey to and from these locations late at night may feel outright dangerous.

Taking a cue from some of the interviewed students, we propose that a room, located closer to the dormitories, be made available at all hours for students, accessible via keycard. We don’t need much — just a table, some chairs and a place to read in peace.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Carl JeutesteinSep 10, 2007 at 12:05 am

you’re preaching to the choir, but the logistics/cost of a key card system for 22,000+ students?

how about UC 200 and at least two classrooms (one in the quad buildings east of the south gym and one in either Science II or Peters building) remain open 7am Monday to 5pm Friday—closed for classes obviously.

This campus seems to be coming up short in its promise to guarantee a quality education for its students. Welty needs to be held responsible.

Carl JeutesteinSep 10, 2007 at 7:05 am