The Collegian announces fall 2007 editorial and business staff

The Collegian is proud to announce an almost entirely new staff for the fall 2007 semester.

Jessica Szalay will be taking over for Kirstie Hettinga as editor in chief for The Collegian. Szalay graduated with her bachelor̢۪s degree in history and a minor in broadcast journalism in 2006. She is working on her master̢۪s in history and has previous print journalism experience as the city reporter for The Selma Enterprise.

Brent VonCannon has been hired for the news editor position. As a senior print journalism major, VonCannon was the beat reporter for the news section this semester and has written for The Collegian for two semesters.

The news section will be supplemented by current news editor Katrina Garcia who has been re-hired by The Collegian, but as the new beat reporter for the news section. Following an internship this summer with The Bakersfield Californian, the print journalism major will be graduating in the fall.

Megan Reilly will be the features editor. The broadcast journalism major has previous experience in print journalism as an intern and reporter with The Kingsburg Recorder.

Opinion editor Mathew Gomes will be returning for the fall semester. Gomes, a senior English and music composition major, will have the help of newly hired columnist Benjamin Baxter. As a past print journalism major and a beginning credential student, Baxter has written for The Collegian in previous semesters.

Joe Hollak, a senior majoring in the digital media option of mass communication and journalism, has accepted the position of webmaster/multimedia editor. Hollak previously served as Collegian photo editor and was this past semester̢۪s assistant multimedia editor/webmaster. He recently won first place for his photos of the fall 2006̢۪s campus shootings, and his multimedia work contributed to The Collegian̢۪s recent first-place awards for its Web site.

Digital media major and current photo editor Juan Villa will also be back for the fall 2007 semester. Joseph Vasquez, the fall 2005 Collegian photo editor, will assist Hollak and Villa.

Grace Guanlao is a junior advertising major and she will continue as the national advertising account representative.

Maira De La O has been selected as the local advertising manager and Michael Foster as the advertising coordinator. Vanessa Rodriguez and James Dominguez have been assigned to special projects. All are seniors majoring in mass communication and journalism in the advertising sequence and served as account representatives during the spring 2007 semester.

Michael Uribes, a sophomore in the graphic design sequence of art and design, has accepted the position of advertising production designer.

Osvaldo “Ozzie� Gutierrez, a senior majoring in business, will assume the position of accountancy assistant.

Applications are still being accepted for the positions of co-sports editors and distribution manager. The applications are available online at https://fscollegian.com.

For more information, please contact 278-5735.