“Spider-Man 3” weaves a darker, funnier web

By Jeff Christian and Katrina Garcia
Sports Editor and News Editor

Peter Parker is back in black the third time around as he dons the black suit and fights many battles — including one with himself — in the new Spider-Man movie.

Directed by Sam Raimi, “Spider-Man 3� is good, but it could have been excellent.

One of the highlights of the film is the rocky yet realistic relationship between Peter (Tobey Maguire) and Mary Jane (Kirsten Dunst).

Unlike the cheesy ending in “Spider-Man 2,� Peter and MJ’s relationship in this third installment doesn’t reflect the old adage, “Three’s a charm.�

Peter̢۪s changed this time around, and his new image doesn̢۪t help him when it comes to dealing with MJ̢۪s personal struggles.

Peter̢۪s new attitude is also reflected in the overall tone of the movie. Spidey 3 is funnier than the first two, but it̢۪s also a lot darker.

Peter Parker̢۪s transformation to a wannabe Rico Suave is humorous; his battle with wearing the menacing black suit, dark and sinister.

But Topher Grace truly steals the show as Eddie Brock, who also fights his own battle with wearing the black suit.

As both Parker̢۪s and Spiderman̢۪s competition, Grace plays the dubious Brock well and is even better as Venom.

Unfortunately, Grace̢۪s character is not in the movie enough, instead getting the backseat to the less-thrilling Sandman.

The film is visually stunning and the evolutionary progression in computer generated special effects since the first film’s release allows “Spider-Man 3� to make the opening film in the franchise look like a made-for-TV movie.

Raimi̢۪s use of color and different lens techniques help create a darker and at times more artistic-looking product.

The only problem with the film visually is the occasional jerky camera movement during some action scenes. However, the stellar effects far outweigh the small camera movement issues in the film.

Desire is what ultimately prevents “Spider-Man 3� from slinging to the top of the franchise.

Raimi and his brother Ivan, who co-wrote the screenplay, tried too hard to make the film the grand finale of the series and the result is a series of subplots that at times become overwhelming.

While the main plot centers around Peter Parker̢۪s battle with a symbiotic alien substance that attaches itself and forces Parker to confront his own turmoil and character flaws, there are also four other subplots: Peter Parker and Mary Jane, Spider-Man versus the Sandman, Peter Parker/Spider-Man versus Eddie Brock/Venom and the reemergence of the Harry Osborne, Peter Parker, Mary Jane love triangle.

All four are interesting story lines but together they detract from the main story line.

Viewers anticipating a climatic showdown between Spider-Man and Venom will be sorely disappointed. In the end, Raimi̢۪s attempt at a complete resolution of all five plotlines is admirable but it seems forced.

It is apparent that Spider-Man and X-Men have set the bar for the comic book film franchise.

“Spider-Man 3� will be the blockbuster of the summer and it is another great installment in the series, but it doesn’t eclipse “Spider-Man 2.�

Grade: B