Singing to a community tune

The Fresno Community Chorus prepares for performances Saturday and Sunday of Bruckner’s “Te Deum.� The choir is made up of community members and Fresno State students.
Shaun Ho / The Collegian

The Fresno Community Chorus has been singing its way ‘round town for more than 50 years.

Dr. Anna Hamre, who has directed the choir since August of 1999, is responsible for the organization of the choir program and also directs the concert choir and chamber singers.

Hamre has continued to help the community enjoy music with concerts like “This Central Garden,� named after a piece written for the 50th anniversary of the choir.

Before members of the choir are able to perform in concerts, all singers must arrange a short audition with Hamre before regular rehearsals begin.

All singers wishing to audition are studied for their particular style, Hamre said.

All singers that are returning are also re-auditioned by section every couple of years to find out what their strong points and weaknesses are.

Members of Coro Piccolo are also selected using the same process. The Coro Piccolo is an organized auditioned small group that come from the position of the Fresno Community Chorus. This small group is used when members are needed, and also perform as an independent group. It is preferred that members of the Coro Piccolo have great music-reading skills, so that they can learn their music on their own.

The fees vary from $50 a year for community members to a waived membership fee for all Fresno State students, with enrollment of the course. There is also an estimated cost of $15 for all members that will cover music costs.
To set up an appointment contact Hamre at (559) 278-2539.