Letters to the Editor

Increasing campus safety

Confusion and frustration overwhelm many students when finals are approaching. Many late night study groups are being held at school without any concern of being a victim of a violent attack.

There are only 108 emergency phones on the campus of Fresno State, but it is not enough because there are none in the courtyard of some buildings. A student would have to run a couple of feet outside the courtyard to push the emergency button.

There are complaints that light posts near the North and South Gym parking lot areas need new light bulbs. Amy Armstrong, Public Information Officer, said that the campus is big and they do not know when all the light bulbs go out on every pole at Fresno State but she appreciates the requests and tries to fix the problem immediately.

Armstrong said at night, there are a couple of escorts whom are locking up buildings throughout the campus. There are a few who drive around campus, so it is best to wait for others walking in the same direction as you are.

Students need to be a little more concerned about walking to their cars at night. They should know how to protect themselves. The Rage Aggression Against Defense is a 12-hour program that teaches safety information and physical moves. The program teaches you protect yourself when in an unsuspected situation.

For more information on RAAD, contact Amy Armstrong in the Department of Public Safety at 559-278-6709.

Veronica A. Jimenez
Senior
Psychology