Graduation does not guarantee occupational success

Cassie Resendez / The CollegianGRADUATION IS FOR QUITTERS.

Fresno State quitters are probably horrified about graduating. I know I am.

After a good 15 years in the public education system, I only know how to do one thing well — I know classes, for all my whining.

What I don̢۪t know boils down to merely everything else, anything about the outside world, including what it̢۪s like to have a full-time job without a nametag.

I doubt a typical Fresno State student knows any of those.

At best, college classes don̢۪t teach real-life skills, but a clinical understanding about the outside world. All the wider college experience has to offer involves ping-pong balls and plastic cups.

Typical McAverage is an average Fresno State student, and he knows it as best as anyone.

Graduating after five long years, McAverage spent the last four years cleaning up after that mess of a freshman year in the dorms.
His expertise at grade substitution is unparalleled. Joyal knows him by name.

McAverage didn̢۪t get here on much of a scholarship if anything at all. His fifth-generation Anglo-Irish heritage didn̢۪t lend itself well to scholarships.

McAverage is stuck with student loans, because he came straight out of high school.

His high school held him back a few years and charged for books — community college. He scraped by with an almost-B grade point average.

The average worked through college as food service engineer and Starbucks team member/drone #435023B.

He̢۪s never had a real job, but that̢۪s why he went to college to begin with.

Like most Fresno State students, you don̢۪t have an internship and never applied.

McAverage doesn̢۪t have a clue about how to succeed in life. He̢۪s not prepared to do well, even if he has any confidence in the abilities he lacks.

The college experience does not and will not prepare you for life outside college. Your successes and failures at college will not transfer.

Do well in college, or poorly, and it doesn̢۪t matter. Your driving and criminal records will follow you, but McAverage doesn̢۪t have anything to really worry about from either.

His friend, Perl, already found a job, and with just a C+(+) average. She may be an information technologies major, but her success
isn̢۪t just because there will always be a future in computer maintenance.

Perl succeeded because she took the initiative. She bothered finding an internship, and learning early on the skills in the job world.

She doesn’t need to pad her résumé with phenomenal personal greatnesses humbly veiled as weaknesses. She doesn’t need to exaggerate her job experience. That she has any job experience at all is a leg up on the McAverages who graduate in her field.

As much as Fresno State should prepare its students for the outside world, it doesn̢۪t.

You do.

All Fresno State departments should require internships. Not having an internship in college is setting yourself up for failure.

But Fresno State doesn̢۪t require internships, in part because there aren̢۪t enough to go around.

Then again, maybe internships aren̢۪t required because that̢۪s the sort of initiative students need to find on their own.

Even though students aren̢۪t taught initiative in today̢۪s schools, not having any still hurts them.

After all, McAverage will go back to waiting tables. Perl will do something she likes, and will get paid a lot more.

When that inevitable graduation date comes, which will you be?

Are you a quitter with or without initiative?

$100
$500

$100
$500

Charles W. FrankFeb 21, 2008 at 5:43 am

Ben Baxter … I like your style. KUDOS again.

Charles W. FrankFeb 20, 2008 at 10:43 pm

Benjamin BaxterMay 16, 2007 at 3:51 pm

Allow me to play the devil’s advocate.

Fresno has a lower threshold, sure. There are a lot of stupid people. But, as with any higher education, the sky’s the limit, and you can go as far as you want.

For my tastes, Fresno State is a fine school for people with initiative, but then again, any school would be a fine school for people with initiative.

Fresno State may be cheap, but it’s also inexpensive. For any self-motivated student, the price is right. There’s no reason to go anywhere else.

Well, unless you have asthma.

Benjamin BaxterMay 16, 2007 at 10:51 pm

Allow me to play the devil’s advocate.

Well, unless you have asthma.

• T

Thug FlutieMay 16, 2007 at 9:03 am

The diploma mill that has become Fresno State is not performing its intended mission. Taking in any riff-raff out in the central valley, putting kids who have limited educational skills or intellect in university classrooms, and making it as easy as possible to graduate is a pretty bad development. Welty might need to investigate.

• T

Thug FlutieMay 16, 2007 at 4:03 pm

Benjamin BaxterMay 14, 2007 at 12:54 pm

Most college graduates end up in a field other than their study, sure. I’m pretty sure that, for some, its something to do with not being able to find a job.

Not hired for a job in the field of study? It’s the lack of experience.

Internships provide experience. Moreover, this is experience in training, and connections. Nothing not to like about them, and several are, in fact, paid.

In a school without monumental endowments and a lot of wealthy alumni, internships are the only to get connections.

I can say from personal experience that just about every major there’s a summer job better related to your studies than that lifeguarding job.

Benjamin BaxterMay 14, 2007 at 7:54 pm

JSMay 9, 2007 at 4:11 pm

Internships can be great, but a lot of them dont pay or dont pay well. People need to make money to live. If I had to choose an internship that paid minimum wage and waiting tables for $12 bucks an hour, I would choose the higher pay. I had to work through college to make it and pay for my expenses.

Knowing the right people has a lot to do with finding a job in the real world. Example I left my last job on a high note, when my buddy applied they hired him almost instantly.

On a side note I read somewhere that people change careers 4 to 5 times in their lives. Also that most graduates dont even end up working in the field they study.

JSMay 9, 2007 at 11:11 pm

SuccessMay 9, 2007 at 3:26 pm

All you really need to do is make friends with people who have jobs.

As disgusting as it sounds, it can never hurt to have too many friends with jobs.

A lot of times internships are crap work people don’t want to pay anyone to do.

And many jobs don’t really require that much skilled or specialized knowledge. You just need a way in.

No one does everything he or she should have in college, but that doesn’t mean things won’t work out. And it doesn’t mean an internship or lack of one sealed the fate.

I have a job and will be your friend for a small fee.

SuccessMay 9, 2007 at 10:26 pm