‘Dog Bites

Softball

After sweeping the San Jose State Spartans in three games over the weekend, the Fresno State softball team won̢۪t have to wait long for a rematch.

Fresno State will open the 2007 Western Athletic Conference Tournament at Bulldog Diamond at 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday against the fifth-seeded Spartans.

Fresno State̢۪s 42-16 record and 15-3 mark in conference play earned the Bulldogs the No. 2 seed in the tournament.

The Hawaii Rainbows earned the No. 1 seed in the tournament and an opening round bye. Hawaii will face the winner of the sixth-seeded Utah State and seventh-seeded Louisiana Tech game.

Action will continue with five games on Thursday, three games on Friday and the championship game on Saturday at 2 p.m. — a 5 p.m. game is also scheduled if necessary.

The winner of the double-elimination tournament will earn an automatic berth in the NCAA Tournament.

Baseball

On Sunday alone, the Bulldogs had 19 hits in 44 at bats. In their three-game series against San Jose State, the Bulldogs racked up 56 hits. Fresno State won the final game 12-9 to sweep the weekend match-up.

It̢۪s the eighth-straight WAC win for Fresno State, which places them first in the conference with a 14-4 record.

In the final game, pitcher Tanner Scheppers threw eight strikeouts in six innings. The Bulldogs had a dominating offense with two runs coming off a single and two doubles courtesy of Ozzie Lewis and Steve Susdorf.

Early in the third inning, Tommy Mendonca brought in two runs with the bases loaded after his single to right field, putting the ‘Dogs up, 4-0.

Despite an attempt to rally, the Spartans were out-competed on offense with Alan Ahmady hitting his sixth homer of the season.

Fresno State will host its final home series against Louisiana Tech this Friday.