Dance classes swing to a social beat

Any student standing in the hallway of the South Gym is bound to hear all different kinds of music emanating from behind closed doors.

From swing, to classical, to Kermit the Frog singing “Rainbow Connection,” there is always some sort of music resonating from room 133.

The reason for this music is the many dance classes offered to Fresno State students.

Fresno State offers club dancing, country western, elementary social dance and swing dance. These classes, with the exception of country western, are offered every semester.

Freddy Martin is taking elementary social dancing this semester. He has previously taken swing dance and said he decided to take social dance to learn more.

“It is nice to go to a dance or a wedding and not be refused on the dance floor,” Martin said.

Lindsay Nolen, a student taking the same class as Martin, said she got into the class because of Martin.

“I have always wanted to learn ballroom dancing,” Nolen said. “And this is a great way to meet new people.”

Nolen also explained that the students rotate partners during the class so that the same people are not dancing together all the time.
There is no room for shy people in this class.

The students in the class exude fun, smiling and laughing while they waltz.

Elementary social dance is an introduction to a variety of dances, including the cha-cha, waltz, fox trot, swing, tango and the rumba.
“With the popularity of ‘Dancing with the Stars,’ the classes are becoming more and more popular,” said dance instructor Kim Morand.

Morand, who has been teaching ballroom dancing for 25 years, said the goal and objective of the class is to learn the basics as well as learn to distinguish any kind of music, rhythm, tempo and the characteristic of the style of music and dance.

Morand can often be seen dancing along with the class, she doesn̢۪t just stand by the CD player.

Morand wishes Fresno State had the ability to offer more classes.

“The more we can do the merrier,” Morand said.

Martin said there are only two things he does not like about the class. His first complaint is the cha-cha. “I just can’t do it,” he said laughing. The other thing about the class that Martin wishes he could change is the number of classes offered. “I wish our school offered more classes, like advanced swing.”

Marc Gonzalez is another student taking elementary social dance this semester. He said that he decided to take this class because he loves music and he is involved in musical theatre.

“I love this class,” Gonzalez said. “I just wish that we had more time. The classes seem like they are too short, I just wish my class was longer than 45 minutes.”

Gonzalez said that he hopes these classes will help him in his future musical theater endeavors and is planning on taking more dance classes in the future.

Next semester, only the partners club, elementary social, and swing classes are being offered.

For course schedule information consult the online or print version of the fall 2007 course schedule.