Campus police identify recovered items with dots

Fresno State̢۪s University Police Department is relying on World War II technology to help it identify the owners of items that have made their way to the university̢۪s lost and found.

“A lot of the time, things just aren’t returned [to the rightful owner],� Fresno State’s public information officer Amy Armstrong said.

But with the help of DataDots, the university hopes to get recovered items back into the hands of the ones who own them.
“Everything from backpacks to laptops has been brought into the lost and found here on campus,� Armstrong said. “But without any way for us to identify who the things belong to, the stuff just sits there.�

Dan Cobb, CEO and President of MicroDot Security Solutions in Fresno, said students at universities can easily lose their valuables on campus — or worse, have them stolen.

Developed during World War II for espionage purposes, DataDots are actually smaller than a grain of rice, measuring about one millimeter in diameter.

“DataDots are a cost-effective way for students to protect their assets,� Cobb said. “It’s simply a means for them to be able to easily identify their belongings.�

Hardly visible to the naked eye, the glitter-like specs are laser-etched with a serial number that is unique to the owner. This encoding is precisely what makes DataDots work.

“It’s like having your own DNA or fingerprint put right on your personal valuables,� Cobb said.

Once purchased, the serial number on the DataDots must be registered to a national Web-based system, where law enforcement officials can access information regarding the owner of the protected items.

According to Armstrong, all it takes is a black light and a 60x magnifier for campus police to detect and read the DataDots.

“Officers take the black light and just run it over an item,� Armstrong said. “Then, if the item is protected by DataDots, the special glue used to adhere them shows right up. It’s really that simple.�

While the campus police department began selling DataDots for $20 for a personal kit of 500 Dots last fall, students remain largely unaware of the high-tech, crime-fighting tool that is available to them.

Freshman psychology major Karen Morehead said because of how “cheap� the DataDots are, she would have already purchased some to protect items such as her iPod and cell phone.

“I like the idea of being able to protect my things,� the Fresno native said. “But I was totally unaware that Fresno State had something like that.�

According to Armstrong, 63 petty thefts and eight grand thefts have already been reported to the campus police department since Jan. 1.

It̢۪s numbers like these that have kinesiology major Jacob Petway looking into buying a personal DataDot kit of his own.
“I’ve thought about getting some [DataDots] to protect my laptop and other things with,� the Fresno State junior said. “But I’m not quite sure how they work.�

With other universities such as San Diego State, UC Irvine and UCLA offering DataDots, Armstrong said the technology is ideal for students, especially those living in dorm rooms where personal space is limited.

However, Armstrong also said there is one drawback to the technology.

“Many people think the DataDots act as a tracking device, locating your belongings after they’ve been lost or stolen,� Armstrong said. “But really, in order for the technology to work, the items actually have to be recovered or brought into the lost and found.�