BREAKING NEWS: Student suspected in shooting

Fresno SWAT gather at the intersection of Cedar Ave. and Barstow Ave. in response to a fatal shooting involving California State University, Fresno students.
Juan Villa / The Collegian

6:52 a.m. According to local news station ABC 30 a Fresno State student is the suspect in a shooting that killed one person and wounded two others.

Jonquel Brooks, a 19-year-old, is believed to be contained in the University Village
apartment complex where the incident occurred.

Suspected shooter, Jonquel Brooks, 19.

The shooting occurred late Monday evening, and the individual who was killed is believed to be a former Fresno State student.

Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said the police were in contact with the suspect.

Currently Barstow Avenue is closed between Cedar Avenue and 9th Street.

Fresno State̢۪s emergency hotline was updated as of 5:45 a.m. and said that classes are open and on schedule. Students who live in the University Village were evacuated and taken to the Residence Dining Hall.

For more information contact the Fresno State emergency hotline at 278-4000. The Collegian will continue to update itself throughout the day.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• G

geeNov 24, 2009 at 3:33 pm

wouldn't want anything to ruin your meal of mini corndogs at the RDH!

Mike GreysonMay 8, 2007 at 1:58 pm

crappy policework by fresno’s finest……what a……what a……what a debacle!!

Mike GreysonMay 8, 2007 at 8:58 pm

Mike GreysonMay 8, 2007 at 1:53 pm

there goes another of Steve Cleveland’s walk-ons. Lock him up, throw away the key.

Mike GreysonMay 8, 2007 at 8:53 pm

Malik the GeekMay 8, 2007 at 1:32 pm

What’s up with the quality of students here at Fresno State? University students are usually at such a level that they don’t need to pop a cap when someone confronts them about stolen property.

We’ve moved into an era were the fact that you’re a college student means nothing about your place in society. Fresno State just takes these thugs in, however. First Terry Pettis, now JaMarcus Brooks !

Malik the GeekMay 8, 2007 at 8:32 pm

• G

geeMay 8, 2007 at 11:26 am

wouldn’t want anything to ruin your meal of mini corndogs at the RDH!

Sarah KnepperMay 8, 2007 at 10:43 am

I can’t believe they say it’s contained — they haven’t found the guy yet, because he slipped right past them! Until they find him, I’m staying at home where I’m safe. It’s ridiculous that we’re sitting around, letting this guy negotiate for the past 12 hours while he’s at large with a handgun. Why not storm the place and nab the guy?

“Campus police say the shooter is nowhere near campus;” have they seen a map of Cedar and Barstow? It’s right across the street!

One last thing — why are they in the RDF? University Courtyard students (Like myself) pay to use that for our meals and meetings — no way am I going into the middle of that refugee camp today. For all we know, Brooks is wandering around in there.

Apparently, I”m upset. 😛

Sarah KnepperMay 8, 2007 at 5:43 pm

Apparently, I”m upset. 😛

Andrew ToschiMay 8, 2007 at 9:58 am

Juan,
    Joe’s photo was cooler but that one rocks! Let’s see some more.

Andrew ToschiMay 8, 2007 at 4:58 pm

Juan,