A shelter from the storm

By Patricia Moratto
Collegian Staff Writer

College-aged women face high risk of becoming victims of domestic violence

Some students hear the term “domestic violence” and immediately think of older women with children who are trapped in a lifelong cycle of abuse.

But one may be surprised to know that according to the U.S. Department of Justice, women ages 16-24 are the most at risk of becoming victims of domestic violence. College-aged women are commonly the victims of dating violence, which consists of verbal, psychological and physical abuse.

According to the California Department of Health Services, 80 percent of women continue to date their abusers even after they have been victimized. One socioeconomic theory as to why this happens speculates a combination of transferred family abuse in addition to a lack of education. This cyclical pattern of family abuse builds what is called “relationship programming,” into a person, and they start to perceive the chaos as normal.

“Victims tend to deny and minimize what their partners inflict upon them,” said Bob Meade, clinical supervisor at the Marjaree Mason Center. The center is a community service center that provides shelter and services for victims of domestic violence.

“There are two times that abusers often first exhibit violence towards their partners: the day a woman announces pregnancy, and shortly after the couple marries,” Meade said.

These two events frequently happen while women are in college. The average age of undergraduate students at Fresno State is 22, according to the California State University data recording Web site, “csumentor.edu.” The average age for the campus, which has many commuters and return students, is older than the average age for many other universities. This leads to older students, and many more students who are married or have children.

“Too many violent incidents go unreported and it’s important that we educate ourselves by being aware of the sexual assault, intimate partner violence and stalking indicators in order to advocate and assist the survivor in their time of need, said Mica Vargas of Fresno State’s Violence Prevention Program, which is located in the Women’s Resource Center on campus.

Fresno State offers the Women̢۪s Resource Center where services, literature and programs are provided for victims of relationship violence. The Women̢۪s Resource Center works hand in hand with the Student Health Center to provide Fresno State students any confidential resources needed to prevent or recover from a damaging relationship.

Two major reasons as to why younger women may hesitate to report abuse are reported by the California Department of Health. First, college-aged women may feel a group peer pressure to appear in a normal, healthy relationship. They fear a lack of confidentiality may spill their problem into the public. At that point, they will be exposed and embarrassed. The second reason younger victims don̢۪t always report is that they are unsure about laws. Abusers use this ignorance to their advantage.

All services provided at Fresno State are strictly confidential.

With advancing technology, social networking sites are leading way to a new breed of problems in the world of domestic violence. Web sites like MySpace and Facebook are the cause of conflict and enable stalkers.

“We see men track down their victims, who have restraining orders against them, by reading comments left on the victims MySpace page,” said Jenny Whyte, a volunteer coordinator of the Marjaree Mason Center.

“These batterers establish where the victim will be at what time and go there,” Whyte said. “Comparable problems have been a result of text messaging and e-mail,” Whyte said. Although the causes of violence are much deeper than these issues, stalking victims in these ways is a means abusers exercise control.

According to the Marjaree Mason Center, 61 percent of the victims who utilized the center̢۪s services were under the age of 34, indicating the reality that domestic violence affects many college-aged people.

For students in need of help or advice, the Women̢۪s Resource Center, located in the University Business Center, is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. The center̢۪s number is 278-4435.

The Marjaree Mason Center is located at 1600 M Street in Fresno. Its emergency hotline is
1-800-640-0333.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• R

Reality CheckJun 8, 2007 at 1:15 pm

If you take a look at world politics, I rather believe we are the ones PISSING on the rest of the world. If those are the “glory days,” then fear not. They are alive and well…. But that’s another topic.

There is a difference between telling a child to behave, and telling your girlfriend she is worthless. A very big difference.

• R

Reality CheckJun 8, 2007 at 8:15 pm

Sharon Stone Shower Scene (S*4)May 30, 2007 at 10:36 pm

You people are a bunch of morons. ooohhhh,,, golly gee whiz, sorry for hurting your feelings, Chris, Anti-A, and Reality-C.

Joe’s point has some merit. We are a “ME” society! The problem is not hurt feeling and/or verbal abuse>>> It’s kids who think they’re God’s gift to the world. Children with parents who have never come to grips with the fact that their kids are NOT equals. Bosses who are affraid to call out their employees for fear of emotional distress. Reality-C pointed out the perspective a psychologist might have on this whole issue—–That same psychologist was probably an A+ student in an undergrad program that inflated grades because of the consensus among professors that it was “healthy” for self-esteem. (see Fresno State).

That same excessive level of self-esteem is why teens in movie theatres don’t shut off their goddam mobile phones when the movie starts—-they feel entitled. Their world comes before all else. Never been told how they are no more important than any other member of society. Daddy wouldn’t dare tell little Billy how to behave in public. Keep your youngster in check if you want him/her to be a better member of society!!!

We are an overfeminized culture than is getting pissed on by the rest of the world as a result. Inflated grades, kids running amok, lack of productivity/technical skill, and a society driven on feelings and emotions rather than logic and reality.

Our collective divorce numbers have got to be related to American couples simply supressing their feelings and buying into the false belief that everything is hunkydory.

Many Americans must be told that they “SUCK!” if we are every to return to the glory days. Your kid’s self-esteem needs to be kept in check! Now that’s a reality check.

Sharon Stone Shower Scene (S*4May 31, 2007 at 5:36 am

• R

Reality CheckMay 30, 2007 at 5:29 pm

Joe Mayo, if you think words don’t hurt, then YOU are the liar… or you’re just full of it.
    Ask any psychologist and he/she will tell you, it takes MUCH longer to heal from emotional and verbal abuse than it does from physical abuse.

It’s not about being in a “touchy, feely society where self-esteem has gotten out of hand.” There is a difference between reprimanding someone for not doing their job at work, and calling someone a fat, stupid idiot.

• R

Reality CheckMay 31, 2007 at 12:29 am

Joe MayoMay 16, 2007 at 8:53 am

no, Thug F. is mostly right. We live in this touchy, feely society where self-esteem has gotten out of hand. To many people are “me, me, me.” I know the point he’s trying to make. Sometimes people need to be told that they suck or are not doing their job correctly or have a GF or BF who tell them how things really are. And yes………loud arguments are part of any relationship. If you have never exchanged words with you significant other, you’re a liar………….physical abuse is on a whole different level. Comparing the two is lessening the truth about both forms.

Joe MayoMay 16, 2007 at 3:53 pm

• G

Gina RicciardiMay 15, 2007 at 7:28 pm

Nah, I would tell Trish if it sucked 🙂 We are sisters, she can take it.

• G

Gina RicciardiMay 16, 2007 at 2:28 am

JohnMay 15, 2007 at 2:28 pm

Gina, thats cheating. You would have said you liked it no matter what it said.

JohnMay 15, 2007 at 9:28 pm

Chris RMay 15, 2007 at 12:10 am

re: Mr. “Thug Flutie,”

In your response to this article, I must say this. I love getting a good dose of morning verbal abuse from all of my closest friends. In fact, I love it so much that I ask all of my classmates to berate me as I walk in the door to my morning classes; but not after a good verbal bashing from my roommate as I leave my apartment. Specifically, I like being told how my fashion isn’t up to date, my life isn’t where it should be, I’m not tall enough, I need to hit the gym more, and that I’m not as smart as I wish I was. Man! There’s nothing better in the world than that! Nevermind what psychologists think, positive reinforcement is for sissies! Real people take verbal abuse and let it make us stronger. CLEARLY places like the Marjaree Mason Center just try to con people from settlement money by using terminology such as “transference.”

Would you be interested in taking some classes with me next semester? I need someone devoted to friendship like you are. Moreso, I’d REALLY like to partake in a few verbal exchanges with you.

Hit me up if you are interested:
    [email protected]

Clever name by the way, I’m sure the QB would be so proud.

Chris RMay 15, 2007 at 7:10 am

re: Mr. “Thug Flutie,”

Hit me up if you are interested:
    [email protected]

Anti-AbuseMay 14, 2007 at 11:15 pm

Well, Mr. “Snoop Thuggy Thug,” it obvious where you stand on the abuse issue…. .behind a baseball bat.
    Jerk.
    If your friends don’t have enough self-esteem to stop hanging with you after you call them fat low-lifes, then perhaps they pursue the resources mentioned in this article, and cut you out for good. I’m surprised you have any friends! And I shudder to think of what you said to your mom on Mother’s Day! Did you tell her to drop a few pounds???

Anyone who lives their life being obnoxious and cruel to people he calls his friends, anyone who thinks verbal abuse is OK, THAT person is the REAL low life.

I feel sorry for everyone who was ever close to you.

However, I’m happy you’re on this Earth, Mr. Flutie, so that you can serve as an example of a real piece of human garbage, and normal people can observe you and see how NOT to act.

Anti-AbuseMay 15, 2007 at 6:15 am

Jerk.

• G

Gina RicciardiMay 14, 2007 at 10:50 pm

This article is so informative and well-written. The problem is that people, such as Thug Flutie, think this sort of treatment is acceptable and normal. It’s time to step out of our bubbles and realize that this is a form of domestic violence, and that there are resources that victim’s can seek out. It is not normal and it is detrimental to a person’s being. Excellent article and I think this information will be very useful to people who are in difficult situations.

• G

Gina RicciardiMay 15, 2007 at 5:50 am

David DMMay 14, 2007 at 10:14 pm

In response to the previous comment, yes verbal abuse is a part of life but that does not make it acceptable. Verbal abuse should be categorized with the likes of physical and psychological abuse. Just like neglect is a form of psychological abuse, verbal abuse is as well. Through this process of verbal abuse you demoralize one’s self esteem. To say that does not affect the person in a negative manner is just plain ridiculous.

Oh, and calling a friend “fat” or a “low-life” is not the greatest thing you can do for a person. How is that even being a friend? I’m sure as a “friend” you could think of a more constructive way to help your peers out. I can think of several things you could do for a person to help them out as opposed to this form of “support.”

David DMMay 15, 2007 at 5:14 am

Thug FlutieMay 6, 2007 at 9:39 pm

verbal abuse is a part of life (work, marriage, friendships)—–it is a disservice to associate verbal abuse with physical and psychological abuse. Calling a friend “fat or a “low-life” may be the greatest thing you can do for that person.

Thug FlutieMay 7, 2007 at 4:39 am