Spring Break deserves reconsideration

DURING MY SPRING break I thought that nothing else could have been better than having a week of relaxation and taking my mind off of school, work and everything else that was remotely associated with the two, I can̢۪t help but to think that my week could be better spent if the school had prioritized a little differently.

What I mean by prioritize differently is that instead of having an entire week off so close near the end of the semester, I would have much rather have had one day off every other two weeks or so.

There were days during this semester that I would have done almost anything for there to have been a “class cancelled� sign posted on the outside of my door.

In that case I would have gone to my apartment and caught up on the reading that I was supposed to have done before class.

From an academic standpoint, I believe that if we were given an entire day off of school during the week we could really get a lot more homework and studying done than we can by letting those days accumulate into a week.

During the break, I got no homework done whatsoever and put everything on the back burner and started rummaging through my backpack, binders and my room the day before classes started.

This left me in the exact same place I was before the break.

Don’t get me wrong — a week off from school is always fabulous. Who doesn’t like taking a vacation with their friends, a refreshing beverage in one hand and sunblock in the other?

I don̢۪t think I could possibly asked for anything more.

If the goal of spring break was to help me relax and take my mind off school then my mission was accomplished; however, if the break was intended for students to catch up on their school work then the idea of spring break really needs to be re-thought at.

To give college students an entire week to do whatever they want with their allotted time sounds a little on the extreme side to me. I just wonder if our professors actually believe that we will use this time to “catch up� on schoolwork.

Nevertheless spring break has come and gone so if you were on the verge of being diagnosed with chronic stress and anticipating a breakdown I hope you blew the entire week on your self with the concept of R & R embedded in your head.

On the contrary if you̢۪ve missed so many days in class that your professor doesn̢۪t even recognize you, I have high hopes that you spent the break studying and reading so that when classes resume again you have an idea of what the class is about.