Softball podcasts part of AS budget

Fresno State sports podcasts may or may not be the wave of the future, but they certainly are the present, at least for softball.

In a pilot program called the Associated Students, Inc. Broadcasting Unit, these podcasts are currently available for five softball away games and can be accessed through Fresno State̢۪s iTunes podcast, according to AS Vice President Stephen Trembley.

“It’s just a framework,” Trembley said of the new program, “to see if we can do it again in the future. For the limited amount of money we spend, we get a good return.”

The amount of money spent was $500, out of a total of about $3,000 budgeted for the program by the AS Senate, Trembley said.
He hopes the good return will come in the form of hundreds of Fresno State students going into the podcasts and listening to the latest games. Trembley said the stats haven̢۪t come out yet to indicate how successful the program has been.

Podcasts are digital media files that are recorded on iPods and broadcast over the Internet.

Regardless of the new program̢۪s merits or success rate, it may not be back next year depending on funding availability. That̢۪s because Fresno State was granted a free trial by CSTV to set up the program through the end of the school year, Trembley said.
He said it usually costs about $6,000 a year to run the podcast service through CSTV.

“I’m always soliciting to see what kind of programs we can start up,” Trembley said. He said this year’s AS budget left some room for a few extra programs, but the broadcasting unit wasn’t currently planned for next year’s budget. Trembley said he is looking for corporate sponsors for next year.

AS Vice President of Finance Russel Statham confirmed the budget allocation for the program was around $3,000, adding that the amount used in the end was a lot lower, due to Trembley̢۪s discretion and availability to broadcast.

Trembley, who has had previous broadcasting experience, said he was the only student to go on the road to announce and record the games. He covered a total of nine games up through spring break, including the five on podcast. Trembley said he had to cancel some of the planned coverage because of his duties at Fresno State.

Statham also said the ASI Broadcasting Unit proposal, along with Trembley̢۪s proposed budget, were sent to the Senate and approved, but that such items would normally go to the AS executives.

Statham said it was typical for the executives to determine allocation of funds for new program requests, but they decided to let the Senate decide the issue in this case due to the nature of the issue. Trembley is one of the executives.

The project appears in the budget as a “New Program,” Statham said. Trembley’s budget request was subsequently taken out of the New Programs budget.

Trembley said the only expenses for his trips were for gas and lodging, with hotel accommodations used only for the CSU Fullerton Judi Garmen Classic. He said home games were free as far as the program was concerned and that three student volunteers also helped announce during those games.

In a memorandum to the AS Senate dated Feb. 5, Trembley said, “This ground-breaking program would provide a unique audio extension of our current communication projects and has the potential to reach all 21,000+ students, with a realistic goal of having at least 1,000 views to our Web site by the end of June 2007.”

In the letter, Trembley pushed for the program, saying it would increase awareness of intercollegiate activities and give broadcasting majors and other students a unique opportunity that may help them in their career paths.

Trembley said he has always been looking for new ideas to increase student access to school events.

“Right now we’re looking at podcasting and streaming,” Trembley said. “Next year, we may look at ways to videotape Senate meetings and post them online. We want students to have as much access to AS programs as possible.”

Accessing the Fresno State podcasts through iTunes is free. Those who are interested should go to the AS link under “My Organizations” on the Blackboard home page, then click on the April 5 post for instructions on setting up an iTunes account.

$100
$500

$100
$500

JDApr 19, 2007 at 9:46 pm

hahaha. is this a joke? meet with you? why? so you could bore me into submission?

if this new program grows into something worthwhile, i will give you your due, mr. trembley. if it turns out that it was only a semester of fun for you to ride the tails of the softball girls and pad your resume on the students’ dime, i will say i told you so.

it’s too soon to tell, but you may yet earn some respect.

JDApr 20, 2007 at 4:46 am

Stephen TrembleyApr 19, 2007 at 10:51 am

JD,

Sometimes you have to take risks to see if projects work…

ASI was way under budget on “New Programs” (a part of the budget that was awarded $16,500)… so I developed a program to try something that had never been tried in the past.

If you want to see the documentation of the costs related to the program, I would be more than happy to show you.

Also, if you want me to go over the entire program with you, we can sit down and go over all the details… it’s a good program, not perfect, but it needed someone to take the chance to see if it could grow, which I think that it can. I refuse to accept the idea that we can’t do better in finding new ways to give students opportunities to access events on campus.

I can’t wait to see the statistics on the games after the season… I honestly think that the number is going to be much higher than anyone expected…

Sometimes pilot programs work… sometimes they don’t…
    I respect your viewpoint and understand your concerns, but we have a challenge of working within our budget. If there is $16,500 allocated to “New Programs,” we are expected, based on normal budget practices and audit requirements, to spend as close to $16,500 on these types of programs.

If anyone wants to talk to me about ideas for new programs for the remainder of this year or next year, please feel free to e-mail me at:

[email protected]

-Stephen Trembley
    ASI Executive Vice President
    (559) 278-2656

Stephen TrembleyApr 19, 2007 at 5:51 pm

JD,

[email protected]

-Stephen Trembley
    ASI Executive Vice President
    (559) 278-2656

JDApr 18, 2007 at 4:40 pm

“hundreds” of students listening to the podcasts? do hundreds of students even attend the games?

are you kidding me? nobody’s going to download this crap. softball players, i respect your program and what you do, but let’s be real here.

from reading this story: essentially, the BS spent 500 bones of student money so the vp could pretend to be a broadcaster for a couple months.

sure, the song and dance looks like the program is creating experience-building opportunities for future students, but do you think the BS is going to drop six grand on the program next year without the folks at intramurals finding out and nixing the idea?

BB could use the money on another prematurely balding referee to call bogus technicals when his feelings get hurt.

like the report says, the podcast program ends in may. and collegian, i’d check to see what else that 500 bucks bought. or if it was really only 500 bucks. if not mr. trembley, the BS has been known to misplace financial documents in the past.

then there were those rumors about electronic planners being stolen in the pre-neil gibson days.

think…

JDApr 18, 2007 at 11:40 pm

think…