Birth control costs increase at U.S. college pharmacies

Many college students have been forced to pay double and triple the price they once paid for birth control from their college pharmacies, as a result of a 2005 deficit-reduction bill that went into effect in January.

Although the bill has affected many college students across the United States, it has not affected the price of oral contraceptives at the Fresno State student health center pharmacy.

An employee at the Health Center who refused to give his name said the bill doesn̢۪t affect the campus because it isn̢۪t applicable to the business practices of the Fresno State pharmacy. The employee said contracts through pharmaceutical companies that are in effect through 2008 ensure the bill doesn̢۪t affect Fresno State.

According to an article from CNN.com “College students to pay more for birth control pills,� the increase in birth control pills was “the result of a complex change in the Medicaid rebate law that essentially ends an incentive for drug companies to provide deep discounts to colleges.�

The Fresno State pharmacy employee said he doesn̢۪t think the pharmacy will be affected by the bill in the future, but he said he can̢۪t speak for other campuses.

The cost of birth control at Fresno State has risen in the past and will continue to rise not because of the bill, but due to factors such as patent issues, contracts and less competition among pharmaceutical companies.

The average cost of birth control at the college pharmacy was $12.50 about a year ago but now the price of one month of birth control pills ranges from $20 to $46.50.

“Well, it’s still cheaper than the retail market outside the university,� Dick Naito, a staff pharmacist at the health center, said.

The cost of a one-month supply of birth control at Walgreens is $34.99 to $55.99 without insurance.

The CNN.com article stated that some colleges were able to keep prices low for a couple of months after the law took effect by buying in bulk, but the prices would increase after the stockpile ran out. San Francisco State is one university that bought in bulk to prolong the price increase.

“It’s a shame the prices have skyrocketed. Most of ours used to be around $10 a month. We’re just depleting what we have left at $10. When that’s gone, it’s $29,� Jo Ann Alioto, a registered nurse at San Francisco State University, said in a phone interview with The Collegian.

Campuses such as San Francisco State University, Sacramento State University and CSU Los Angeles were not affected by the bill to a large degree because those campuses participate in Family PACT, which stands for Planning Access Care Treatment.

This is a California program that provides family planning services, including low cost or no cost birth control, to eligible low income men and women. Health representatives at all three universities said most students qualified for Family PACT and free birth control.

“Fortunately most people qualify here. It’s great for the students. The health center is able to bill the state for the services,� Alioto said.

Students at Fresno State expressed concern that a rise in the price of birth control could cause college students to choose less preferred contraceptives or forego contraceptives completely.

Charity Powers, a 22-year-old senior business major, said she believes raising the cost of birth control could have dire consequences for students already struggling to manage their finances on a strict budget.

“The majority of students already support themselves. They are working full time or part time to pay rent, buy textbooks and pay for car insurance. That [birth control] isn’t as important as rent and utilities so they may not even buy it anymore,� Powers said.

Rebecca Allen, a 23-year-old senior anthropology major, said a raise in the cost of birth control may discourage students from seeking contraceptives.

“I think it could be a deterrent, definitely. I used to get my birth control from the health center and even when it was raised a couple dollars, it was a big pain,� Allen said.

Tania Vargas, a 19-year-old sophomore psychology major, said she doesn̢۪t think students will stop using birth control but that students will find alternatives like Planned Parenthood. Planned Parenthood offers a variety of birth control options for free.

$100
$500

$100
$500

The ObserverApr 14, 2007 at 12:24 pm

She can’t get pregnant if you do it in the water. Look it up. It’s science.

The ObserverApr 14, 2007 at 7:24 pm