Author to speak about finding “La Vida Rica�

“If students are looking for an example of the perfect role model, they need not look any further than Yrma Rico,� Luz Gonzalez, dean of the College Social Sciences, said in a statement to The Collegian.

Yrma Rico, the author of “La Vida Rica: The Latina’s Guide to Success at Work and in Life� will speak on campus Monday about the drive it takes to become successful in life.

Gonzalez said Rico is a living testament of the success that can be achieved when goals are set and efforts are made to achieve them.

According to FresnoStateNews.com, Rico was one of eight children and grew up working in the cotton fields of South Texas for $4.50 a day. Determined to make a name for herself, she started to climb the career ladder and today she is listed on the Top 100 list of Hispanics in media.

Dean Luz Gonzalez said, “Yrma Rico represents all that we are in terms of our ability to excel regardless of our gender and ethnicity.�

Rico̢۪s career opportunities flourished because of her ability to communicate in Spanish and her willpower to thrive.

Not only did Rico start her TV career at Fresno̢۪s KFTV, the path led her to become an equity holder in a major national communications company called Entravision Communications Corporation.

Entravision is a diversified Spanish-language media company that reaches 80 percent of Hispanic consumers across the United States, according to FresnoStateNews.com.

After Rico excelled with Entravisions, she purchased the Weber BMW dealership in Fresno with her son-in-law, Jerry Pajouh, where she serves as the president of the company.

But even with her demanding schedule, Rico still takes time to inspire others as she speaks nationally to various schools and businesses about her life story and knowledge.

In order to reach others who she may not be able to visit personally, she decided to co-write “La Vida Rica� with freelance writer Nancy Garascia.

Publishers Weekly Review said the book dispenses career advice in a genuine way that readers will feel compelled to hear her out.

The book was published in 2004 by McGraw-Hill.

The College of Social Sciences worked to bring Rico on campus to share information on how to become a career champion.