̢۪Dogs̢۪ offense eeks out victory

Teammates lift Clifton Smith after he scored the game winning touchdown in Saturday̢۪s scrimmage. The Fresno State offense defeated the defense 47-43 in the first of two scrimmages this year.
Juan Villa / The Collegian

Officially, it didn̢۪t count for anything. But it is football.

After the first of two scrimmages that the Fresno State football team will take part in this spring, the Bulldogs̢۪ offense has the lead over the defense.

Fresno State coach Pat Hill ran the Bulldogs through a 90-play scrimmage that consisted of a custom-made scoring system created by Hill himself.

In the end, it was the offense who grabbed a 47-43 victory over the defense, sealed by the scrimmage’s final play — a touchdown by running back Clifton Smith.

“It was a good day,� Hill said in a release after the game. “We had a couple turnovers and too many penalties, but the pace was very good. For as hard as we have pushed them over the last two weeks, it was a good scrimmage. I thought Tom [Brandstater] looked very sharp. Usually the defense dominates the spring scrimmages, but the offense really responded today by scoring touchdowns in the compete zone, which is what the offense is supposed to do.�

The scrimmage consisted a series of plays in scripted zones in order to provide the players with the most amount of game-like situations possible.

For the Bulldogs offense, receivers Chastin West and Jason Crawley led the way. West caught five balls for 62 yards and a touchdown, while Crawley caught four for 54 yards.

Both quarterbacks also played well for the Bulldogs, as Brandstater ended the day completing 13 of 19 passes with one interception and one touchdown. Freshman Ryan Colburn completed 11 of 15 passes for 102 yards and a touchdown.

The defense also had its share of standouts, as senior linebacker Marcus Riley tallied five tackles, while freshman Chris Lewis had a sack and two passes broken up.

The player who stood out the most for the defense was sophomore cornerback A.J. Jefferson, who had three tackles to go along with his interception.

“There was some good hitting on both sides of the ball,� Hill said. “And we didn’t get anyone seriously hurt, which is always a worry. We are in good physical shape and that showed today. Chris Lewis had a good scrimmage. He’s really come on the last week. I thought the linebackers all played well. We have three very fast linebackers in [Ahijah] Lane, [Marcus] Riley and [Quaadir] Brown. We missed having Brown and Riley last year and it’s good to get them back on the field. Obviously the film will show a lot more, but from what I saw today, I was pleased.�

The second and final scrimmage of the spring season will be this Saturday in Bulldog Stadium and is scheduled to begin at 2 p.m. Admission is free.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• F

FSDogs1Apr 24, 2007 at 4:09 pm

Speaking of Fresno State football, it would be great to see the students come out in droves for the Spring Game this Saturday!

Go show the ‘Dogs you’re still behind them through thick or thin, and create a tradition that ALL of the students who come after you can follow.

• F

FSDogs1Apr 24, 2007 at 11:09 pm