Women’s WAC Tournament Preview

Nobody expects the Fresno State women̢۪s basketball team to make much noise in the Western Athletic Conference Tournament. There̢۪s too much history that suggests otherwise.

Think about the last time the Bulldogs made the NCAA tournament (hint: they̢۪ve never made the tournament, so you can stop thinking now). The WNIT tournament is another story, but who remembers the winner of the second-tier level tournament? For the record, the Bulldogs have yet to win that tournament, the opportunity to even be recognized has not happened yet.

Fresno State has the talent, and the WAC has the parity this year to give the Bulldogs a realistic chance at taking the WAC tournament championship.

The Bulldogs are a team that when in a lose-and-you’re-done tournament, playing at an ‘A’ level is a must. This year’s team has defeated every other conference opponent, but only on rare occasions have the victories come on the road.

That’s why the Bulldogs need to play with a chip on their shoulders, like a team with something to prove — because they do.

Even though the competition in the WAC is as even as it has been in years — thanks to an off-year at Louisiana Tech — the WAC will only get one team into the women’s NCAA tournament.

Before the Bulldogs can make their first ever run for the nation’s top prize though, three ‘A’ games have to be taken care of.
Can it be done? Sure. Will it be done? We̢۪ll just have to see.