Women’s Basketball Preview

0224_basketball_thumb_web.jpg
Juan Villa / The Collegian

The Fresno State women̢۪s basketball team has saved its best for last. After struggling to find consistency for a majority of the season, the Bulldogs have caught fire down the homestretch, the lone exception coming on the road at Boise last night.

After a long road trip, Fresno State made the most of its return to the Save Mart Center. The Bulldogs defeated Louisiana Tech and Boise State, the top two teams in the WAC. Fresno State also avenged an earlier conference loss against New Mexico State during the homestand.

Fresno State will look to regain that home momentum and get retribution from an overtime conference loss on Saturday when the Bulldogs host Utah State. Saturday̢۪s contest will be the final regular season home game for Fresno State̢۪s seniors. Chantella Perera, Paige Diggs, Brittani Green, Andrea Roberson and Jenny Thigpin will be honored before Saturday̢۪s tip-off.

Fresno State Bulldogs

Guard
Chantella Perera, 5’9�, Sr.
Perera has seen perhaps the greatest growth of any female basketball player ever at Fresno State. Adrian Wiggins will miss all she brings to the table.

Guard
Paige Diggs, 5’9�, Jr.
After Jasmine Marshall left the team, Diggs filled her spot better than anyone could have ever imagined. Her all-out play is key on defense.

Forward
Andrea Roberson, 6’1�, Sr.
Roberson, even as a senior, still hasn̢۪t reached her full potential, but she is capable of going off at any time.

Forward
Brittani Green, 6’2�, Sr.
As steady as they come, Green has always been one to do the little things that are not reflected on the stat sheet.

Forward
Jenny Thigpin. 6’3�, Sr.
Her aggressiveness and tenacity get her in trouble sometimes, but her height causes problems for opposing teams.

Utah State Aggies

Guard
Camille Brox – 5’5â€?, Sr.
Brox, who recently moved into the starting rotation, isn̢۪t a dominant scorer but she is extremely accurate from 3-point territory.

Guard
Taylor Richards – 5’4â€?, Jr.
The Aggies leading scorer can light it up from both inside and outside.

Forward
Brittany Phillips – 6’0â€?, Sr.
The Bulldogs must keep Phillips off the free-throw line where she is most effective and exploit her tendency to get in foul trouble.

Forward
Brittany Hagen – 6’1â€?, Sr.
In the game for defense and rebounds, don̢۪t expect Hagen to provide much on the offensive end.

Forward
Jenny Gross – 6’2â€?, Jr.
A talented scorer inside, but if Fresno State forces her to shoot from the outside it could be “brick city.�