The Collegian revamps Web site, print edition

The Collegian is pleased to announce the launch of its fully remodeled Web site and the redesign of its print edition.

The revamped Web site has been the mission of Collegian Webmaster and Multimedia Editor Bryan Harley for almost a year and a half.

“I̢۪m proud of it because it̢۪s going to make future Webmasters̢۪ jobs much easier,” Harley said.

The Web site layout is much larger, on par with The New York Times and Washington Post̢۪s Web sites, and features improved navigation capabilities, a multimedia section, RSS feeds and overhauled archives.

Collegian Editor in Chief Kirstie Hettinga said, “Bryan is leaving us a legacy.”

Other new features include the ability to e-mail or forward stories from the Web site, printer-friendly pages and the ability for readers to comment directly on a story. There is also a “share” feature that allows readers to share Collegian articles through social networking and bookmarking sites such as Facebook, Digg and Delicious.

In conjunction with the launch of the new Web site, The Collegian has redesigned its print edition and added new elements.

The Collegian has updated the fonts it uses for headlines, using a different font for the opinion section than it uses for news, features and sports.

“We wanted to make sure our readers could distinguish between objective articles and opinion writers̢۪ thoughts,” Hettinga said.

The Collegian also added a one-inch banner to the bottom of the news page, which it will use to highlight online exclusives and multimedia packages. The Collegian has branched out to include such multimedia features as an interactive dining guide, videos, slide shows and online photo galleries.

According to Hettinga, it is The Collegian̢۪s goal to continue to serve the campus community by providing informative and entertaining articles in an aesthetically pleasing manner.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Toua VangMar 5, 2007 at 11:29 pm

Good job Bryan! The new site looks great!

Tv

Toua VangMar 6, 2007 at 6:29 am

Tv

• E

Elizabeth LeffallMar 5, 2007 at 6:23 pm

Wow, I’m so excited to see The Collegian moving full speed ahead, improving every semester. That’s what it’s all about. Bryan, my hat’s off to you man, you’ve definitely left your mark. Congrats to the editorial staff, the page design is efficient and eye catching, I’m sure Tucker is all smiles.

• E

Elizabeth LeffallMar 6, 2007 at 1:23 am

Jan EdwardsMar 5, 2007 at 3:03 pm

Kirstie, Bryan, Staff and Virginia,
    This is one fantastic site.
    It rivals any college newspaper site across the country.
    Thanks for giving our sales team such an incredible product.

Bravo and Kudos.
    Jan Edwards

Jan EdwardsMar 5, 2007 at 10:03 pm

Kirstie, Bryan, Staff and Virginia,
    This is one fantastic site.

Bravo and Kudos.
    Jan Edwards

Tracy KlippertMar 5, 2007 at 10:50 am

I am the administrative assistant for a grant in Biology Department. We want to get the word out. Can you put in a article for us. Is anyone interested in interviewing students or faculty for this. We currently have 12 Scholars, 8 will finish this spring semester and most are going to Ph.D. Programs. Scholars have been accepted at Johns Hopkins, UC Santa Barbara, Yale, University of Hawaii. etc etc.
    If this can be posted, please let me know.
    Thank you
    Tracy Klippert
    278-8148

Tracy KlippertMar 5, 2007 at 5:50 pm

Thank you
    Tracy Klippert
    278-8148

Jeffresno!Mar 4, 2007 at 12:48 pm

Bryan, Virginia, and the whole Collegian crew deserve major congratulations for this thoughtful and compelling upgrade. Way to go!

Jeffresno!Mar 4, 2007 at 7:48 pm

MauriceMar 3, 2007 at 10:07 am

The Web site looks great Bryan. Easy to navigate and the colors are soft to the eyes. Nice!

• F

FSDogs1Mar 2, 2007 at 9:39 pm

Great to see The Collegian staying ahead of the curve in the technology department! This is a very integrated Web site. Good job guys!