The beat goes on for No. 13 Bulldogs

The Fresno State tennis team, led by sophomore sensation and second-ranked Melanie Gloria, eased its way past Virginia Tech in a dual match at the Wathen Tennis Center Tuesday, defeating the Hokies 7-0.
Juan Villa / The Collegian

The Fresno State women̢۪s tennis team thrashed visiting Virginia Tech 7-0 Tuesday afternoon.

In its first home match in more than a month, the Bulldogs won all of their singles matches and two of three doubles match ups.

Head coach Simon Thibodeau said it was good to be playing at home.

Fresno State sophomore Melanie Gloria continued her strong season by beating Inga Beerman 6-0, 6-1. Gloria and freshman Anastasia Petukhova also won over Beerman and J.J. Larson in doubles.

“I thought we [were] very focused in singles and we got the job done efficiently,� Thibodeau said.

Freshman Renata Kucerkova won her match 6-0, 6-0 and paired with sophomore Danon Beatty to win a doubles match 8-2.

Beatty and Vanessa Heroux also put out strong performances with both contenders winning their individual matches.

The Fresno State five-match winning streak goes back to Feb. 10, when the Bulldogs defeated Pepperdine 5-2.

Fresno State is currently 13th in the nation.

The ‘Dogs will continue to play at home at the Wathen Tennis Center on March 15 against Texas Christian University and against South Florida on March 16.