Students will be informed early of cancelled classes

Thursday evening Associated Students failed to pass a resolution that “urges faculty to abstain from the current plans to strike.�

The resolution 0607-006, which described the potential strike as “an imposition that will unfairly and adversely affect the student population� had several revisions recommended — each failed.

The original motion,which was authored by Kimberly Hudson, Senator for the College of Engineering and Aaron Stillmaker, Senator for Auxiliary Affairs, ultimately failed in a 3-10 vote.

Several faculty members and CFA representative Brian McNally attended the meeting.

If the strike takes place, demonstrations could start on different CSU campuses as early as the first week of April. Fresno State and at least two other campuses will be on spring break that week.

The Collegian received a letter addressed to students from Fresno State President Dr. John Welty Thursday afternoon. The letter was sent to multiple parties for distribution and will be made available through different venues.

The letter indicated that the campus and its usual services would remain open despite strikes. Students should plan to attend class unless otherwise notified. According to the letter, “Professors have been asked to notify you [students] in advance by e-mail or Blackboard if any specific class meetings will be cancelled.�

The letter also states that it is “entirely permissibleâ€? for students to cross picket lines. If students experience any difficulties or have concerns, they should contact the campus labor relations administrators at [email protected] or call 278-8278.

Fresno State also released the following statement: “California State University, Fresno does have a contingency plan in place that is intended to ensure that classes and services are available for students. Details about the contingency plan will be provided when and if it is needed. It is our hope that this matter will be resolved soon in a manner that will be beneficial to all sides concerned but especially to protect our students.�

$100
$500

$100
$500

Mike GreysonMar 23, 2007 at 4:00 pm

A strike would be a debacle. However, I’d probably learn just about as much ‘stroking the salami’ as I would learning about the War of 1812.

Mike GreysonMar 23, 2007 at 11:00 pm