Slippers, sleepers and upsets hooray

The madness is here and you know what that means: buzzer beaters, Cinderella upsets, gratuitous player and coach profile pieces and enough basketball coverage over the next four weeks to alienate girlfriends nationwide.

Whether you are a college basketball fanatic or someone who enjoys filling out a bracket with friends, then this is the sporting event for you. The NCAA basketball tournament has it all: college mascots, cheerleaders in tears and cheesier music montages than you ever dreamed were possible.

For those who haven̢۪t followed the college basketball season, here is a quick guide to prepare you for this weekend.

The biggest storyline in the Midwest bracket is also the biggest story in the tournament. The region̢۪s top-seed Florida is trying to become the first team since Duke in 1991-1992 to repeat as National Champions. The Gators returned all five starters and its top eight scorers from last season, so experience and talent shouldn̢۪t be a problem. The weight of repeating appeared to be weighing on the team down the stretch, but Florida recaptured its championship swagger as it steamrolled the competition in the SEC Tournament.

Second-seeded Wisconsin could be one of the first big seed to get knocked out if Georgia Tech reaches the second round. The Yellow Jackets might be young, but they are also deep and talented.

Favorite: Florida
Possible First Round Upsets and Cinderellas: Winthrop, Old Dominion, Georgia Tech
Team No One Wants To Play: Oregon
Kansas earned the top-seed in the West, but the question remains whether the Jayhwawks will once again self-implode during the opening weekend. If the Jayhakwks can survive the opening weekend, UCLA could be the only team with the talent capable of keeping the Jayhawks out of the Final Four.
A possible Sweet Sixteen match up between UCLA head coach Ben Howland and Pittsburg, his former team, would provide a fantastic storyline.

Favorite: Kansas
Possible First Round Upset: Villanova, Holy Cross
Team No One Wants to Play: UCLA
This is hands-down the toughest bracket in the tournament. The East Region holds North Carolina — the deepest team in the tournament, Georgetown — the hottest team entering the tournament, and Texas who has the best player in the tournament — Kevin Durant. A Georgetown and North Carolina regional final would be an interesting mixture of styles; the pedal to the medal play of UNC against the methodical precision and defense of Georgetown. However, the biggest storyline in the East will be Durant’s attempt to ‘Melo his way to a National Title. One of the greatest freshman performances in college basketball history would be even sweeter with a trip to the Final Four.
A second round match up between 14th-seeded Oral Roberts and 11-seed George Washington is starting to look like a legitimate possibility.

Favorites: UNC/Georgetown
Possible First Round Upset: Michigan State, George Washington and Oral Roberts
Cinderella Alert: Oral Roberts
Teams No One Wants to Play: Georgetown/ Kevin Durant — I mean Texas.
Top-seeded Ohio State might have the easiest draw out of the four No. 1 seeds to reach the Elite Eight. The Buckeyes have been the most consistent team all season and freshmen such as point guard Mike Conley have impressed and dazzled all season. It is time for Greg Oden to live up to his billing.
The only team that might prevent the Buckeyes from reaching the Final Four is Texas A&M. The Aggies Acie Law IV is the best point guard in the country and leads a team that is stingy on the defensive end.
If Louisville can find a way past Stanford’s “trees� inside and continue its late season surge, another Final Four trip for Rick Pitino wouldn’t be out of the question.

Favorites: Ohio State
Possible First Round Upset: Albany, Long Beach State and Stanford
Cinderella Alert: Nevada
Team No One Wants to Play: Texas A&M