Shipley shines at UNLV Invite

Fresno State sophomore golfer Jennifer Shipley had a break out performance at the UNLV Spring Rebel Invitational, winning the tournament̢۪s individual championship with an 11-under three-day score of 205.

Shipley outlasted UC Irvine̢۪s Kelly Nakashima in a three-hole playoff, earning her best finish as a collegiate golfer and her first individual tournament title at Fresno State.

“I felt good, the front nine was really exciting,� Shipley said in a statement. “I got on a birdie run for awhile. It was really exciting to win one and shooting the lowest round of my life to do it was fun.�

Entering the final day of the tournament, Shipley was in seventh place. But after a final-round of 64, Shipley put herself in position to win the event.

“It was a phenomenal round of golf for Jennifer,� Fresno State head coach Angie Cates said. “This was a good field with a lot of great players and for her to come away with a victory is huge.�

As a team, Fresno State did not fare nearly as well, placing ninth with a three-round score of 882, 35 shots behind of tournament champions BYU.