Senior day a smashing success

‘Dogs enter WAC tourney on high note
In some ways it was the end, but in another way, it could be just the beginning.

The Fresno State women̢۪s basketball team disposed of the Utah State Aggies in perhaps the final game of the season for the Bulldogs
in the Save Mart Center.

With a 71-60 win over the visiting Aggies, the Bulldogs will head into the Western Athletic Conference Tournament winning four of their last five games.

Although each of the last four wins have come at home, the Bulldogs̢۪ all-around game is becoming to round into form, according to Fresno State head coach Adrian Wiggins.

A fine Bulldogs (17-12, 9-7) season has been complicated by inconsistent play and fluctuating levels of confidence, but it is something that Wiggins feels is very close to being cured entering the WAC tournament.

“I feel like our mistakes are correctible ones,” Wiggins said. “I haven’t been real excited about their play consistency all year. These last four games I’ve been very excited. They’ve done a lot of good things.”

Those good things will need to continue at least through the duration of the WAC tournament, if the Bulldogs are to have an opportunity to play in the NCAA Tournament, where the Save Mart Center will play host to the regional finalists.

With a poor showing, the Bulldogs may have to settle for a WNIT bid, if they are even that fortunate.

For the Bulldogs to advance in the WAC tournament, to be held in Las Cruces, New Mexico, Wiggins has three keys that his team will need to be mindful of.

“We have confidence, that’s No. 1,” Wiggins said. “You need to stay out of foul trouble, for us. We don’t have a lot of depth. You gotta get some breaks, and we haven’t gotten a lot of breaks this year.”

The Bulldogs will now need to be able to carry their performance against the Aggies on the road, a place that has been hit and miss all season.

Their postseason chances depend on it.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• F

FSDogs1Mar 5, 2007 at 12:50 pm

Great job of focusing on what’s next for the ‘Dogs instead of just talking about Saturday’s game. Good to hear what Wiggins’ thoughts are…what do the players think? Do they consider themselves favorites heading into the WAC tourney?

• F

FSDogs1Mar 5, 2007 at 7:50 pm