Red Wave has its starter’s Kit

Imagine getting to college and playing your favorite sport.

You practice hard and represent your school at playoffs.

When you return home with your first place trophy, you get nothing more than a pat on the back.

This is the case for 10 student-athletes on the volleyball team.

Men’s volleyball — club volleyball, that is.

But despite the lack of knowledge and support of the team, they aren̢۪t too worried.

The men’s club volleyball team — also known as Red Wave Volleyball — has earned national recognition.

In 2004, it won the division I national championship title and in 2006, outside hitter Kit Maddox was the league MVP.

It isn’t much different from any other athletic team on campus— they win and lose, they practice hard and every year, try to be the number one team.

However, being club means they feel they are almost unimportant.

Practice is two days a week from 8:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. because that is the time the gym is available for them.

Money to pay for equipment and tournaments comes mostly from the players̢۪ pockets.

There is no real recruiting and no special benefit to being on the team, such as scholarships or extravagant facilities.

Instead, in return for their time and money, those 10 players get to play the sport they love.

In its 29th year in existence at Fresno State as a club team, the men̢۪s volleyball team is currently 15-8.

“We’re improving everyday,� business major Mike Delotto said. “We just need to work on team concept and playing together.�

The 5-1 record at home shows just how the hard work is paying off-and building a reputation.

Earlier this season, the Bulldogs played against Boise State for the first time in team history.

“They drove 10 hours just to play us,� head coach Brian Tsukimura said. “We swept them in 48 minutes.�

In their other three home matches, the Bulldogs beat Chico State, San Jose State and Holy Names.

“We’ve been playing good lately,� Maddox said. “But we’ve come to show that we are a young team.�

And the ‘Dogs aren’t taking anything for granted with their young team.

In fact, having three freshmen on the team is making this year a year for team building.

“This is the youngest team I’ve ever coached,� Tsukimura said. “It is definitely a rebuilding year for us.�

Even with the young blood, winning games early on leaves hope for a national run. As teamwork improves, team leaders are emerging, Tsukimura said.

Last season’s league MVP Maddox isn’t a typical leader — but fills the shoes just right.

“He is quieter and sneaks up on you,� Tsukimura said. “He’s not as ‘in your face’ as other leaders we’ve had.

“He definitely leads in kills and attempts and steadies out the passing rotation.�

Of the nine teams in the men’s division I Northern California Collegiate Volleyball League, four are ranked — including Fresno State.
In the National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association top 25, Fresno State is ranked No. 22.

Others include No. 8 Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, No. 13 Santa Clara, and No. 17 University of California at Berkeley.

Of the remaining games on the 2007 schedule, the most anticipated is the last home game against Cal Poly San Luis Obispo.

“[Cal Poly] is a really good team,� Tsukimura said. “They are probably the team to beat.�

Another match greatly anticipated by the ‘Dogs was UC Davis.

For the first time in four years, the Aggies beat the Bulldogs in the first meeting earlier this season.

The loss came from a little inconsistency in the Bulldogs̢۪ game, Tsukimura said.

In their second meeting at a tournament in Santa Clara last weekend, the ‘Dogs got the revenge they were looking for after beating the Aggies in two sets.

“It was good to beat Davis since we are rivals,� libero Zack Moro said. “Since we lost a tough one against them after four years of beating them, it was nice to get revenge.�

Since 1978 men̢۪s volleyball has been a club sport at Fresno State, where it took up the name Red Wave Volleyball instead of using Fresno State.

Tsukimura took over in 1994 and since then has won three league championships and the national championship in 2004.

“The national championship we won sort of backward,� said Tsukimura. “We actually lost that game but the other team had four illegal players. They withdrew and the president of their school called to apologize.�

The remainder of this season will test the young team and if a national run is in sight, they will be prepared.

“It would be nice to finish in the top five at nationals,� Delotto said. “We’ll be ready by just working hard.�

The Bulldogs̢۪ last home game is March 10 against Cal Poly at 7 p.m. in the North Gym.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• F

FSDogs1Mar 8, 2007 at 5:34 pm

I pretty much agree with JD, the people who are interested are going to go (but those are usually those people who know others on the team or are involved in some way…kind of like intramurals crowds).

I think it’s awesome when the club teams are ranked No. 1, because I like when anything from our alma mater is No. 1, but it IS a different level of competition.

GO ‘DOGS!!!
    GO ‘DOGS CLUB TEAMS!

• F

FSDogs1Mar 9, 2007 at 12:34 am

GO ‘DOGS!!!
    GO ‘DOGS CLUB TEAMS!

JDMar 7, 2007 at 5:04 pm

club sports are weak. it’s fun for the people who play, but nobody wants to watch.

fsdogs1, you weren’t trying to get people to watch you run around and try to make 3-pointers in intramurals. you didn’t say, “hey, i try hard. come and give me time and attention.”

club sports are what they are — clubs. they are not legit intercollegiate sports. they don’t deserve coverage. (ranked No. 1? whoopie, we’re the tallest midget!) and they don’t need to be mining for fans.

the meat science club isn’t out trying to get people to watch them do scientific things with meat (or whatever it is they actually do.)

if you’re on club water polo and you pay for your swimsuit and your travel and you’re playing, then there. that should be enough. you’re doing it.

this reader would rather read about the big boy sports.

PS – more columns!!!

JDMar 8, 2007 at 12:04 am

club sports are what they are ”” clubs. they are not legit intercollegiate sports. they don’t deserve coverage. (ranked No. 1? whoopie, we’re the tallest midget!) and they don’t need to be mining for fans.

PS – more columns!!!

• F

FSDogs1Mar 7, 2007 at 12:35 pm

I think club teams are great, and maybe some of these players are good enough to earn athletic scholarships…but, if it were me, I’d be happy just to be able to play a sport I love while representing Fresno State.

As a former student, if one of our many infamous intramural teams was lucky enough to travel and host teams while representing the school, I would have been elated.

What more could a guy who wasn’t good enough to earn a baseball, football or basketball scholarship want!?

• F

FSDogs1Mar 7, 2007 at 7:35 pm