OU spoils Bulldogs̢۪ upset effort

The Fresno State men̢۪s tennis team fell to Sooner rather than later. Despite strong singles matches from freshman Mirko Zapletal and senior Charles Irie, the Bulldogs were unable to hold off the visiting Oklahoma Sooners on Sunday at the Wathen Tennis Center.

Zapletal took out No. 60 Andrei Daescu in a singles match up 3-6, 6-2, (10-7). In winning his fourth straight singles match Zapletal improves to 12-6 overall.

Irie brought his record to 14-7 with his win over Ryan Thomas 7-5, 7-6 (6).

Fresno State also made a showing in the doubles match with Irie and freshman Tejesvi Veerepalli defeating Oklahoma̢۪s Segey Avdeyev and Marek Velicka, 8-3.

However, Oklahoma edged past Jakub Cech and Zapletal, and Taylor Leiby and Rudolf Siwy on the other courts to win the doubles point.

In other singles matches, Fresno State̢۪s Cech, Siwy, Veerepalli and Leiby fell to their respective opponents.

Cech, who holds a No. 59 national ranking, fell to Oklahoma̢۪s Vaclav Kucera, ranked No. 111 in the country. For Cech, the loss continues his string of inconsistent play against some of the nation̢۪s better talent.

Fresno State̢۪s record now stands at 4-5. Oklahoma is 11-2.

The Bulldogs are on the road this week for the annual Blue Gray Classic in Montgomery, Ala.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Mike GreysonMar 13, 2007 at 2:07 pm

Fresno State sports suck. It looks like there are three Americans playing men’s tennis for Fresno State, none for Oklahoma. Should taxpayers subidize college degrees and free education for foreigners to come and play sports at state university campuses? College tennis sucks.

Mike GreysonMar 13, 2007 at 9:07 pm