New library dean looks forward to finished renovations

Peter McDonald has big plans for his new job as Fresno State̢۪s dean of library services. Heading the library in preparation for the launch of the state-of-the-art building in 2008 is a rare chance, he said.

His plans to bring fresh energy to his job are inspired in part by the cutting-edge design of the new library.

“The new building will be the most visible and prominent building on campus and it will be a testament to the academic enterprise here,� McDonald said. “The facility will be second-to-none with any library in California, if not the nation.�

The chance to take over as library dean with construction on the new library under way was one that McDonald could not pass up.

“My job is to articulate a vision for the library, which is especially important with the move into the new building,� he said.

“The new library played a part in my choosing Fresno State. I saw the potential in the faculty and staff and in the wonderfully engaged university.�

A $10 million donation from the Table Mountain Rancheria American Indian tribe to the Henry Madden Library construction project made a substantial difference to the quality of the new library. “I’m absolutely thrilled that the university received such a generous gift,� McDonald said. “It provided the university the opportunity to make the library one of the most beautiful and unique in the world. It also truly honors the Native Americans of this region and creates an atmosphere of knowledge and sensitivity to their culture on campus.�

After the $105 million library building is completed, McDonald’s plans for the library’s future will continue. “Our job is to match the beauty and centrality of the building with a service ethic to provide a first-rate library to students and faculty,� McDonald said. “I will collaborate with my partners by doing what we do better, by becoming more proficient in the digital arena and by making the library a civic and cultural hub for the campus and community.�

McDonald officially became the library dean Feb. 20. He replaced former library dean Michael Gorman, who retired after heading the Henry Madden Library since 1988. Previously, McDonald was the associate librarian for collections at Syracuse University.

Born in Venezuela, raised in Europe and South America and educated in Canada, he felt his diverse experiences and education would be an asset to his career at Fresno State.

Rather than be intimidated by his current position, his first as library dean, McDonald is enthused by what he has to offer the campus. “I feel uniquely qualified to build relationships and collaborations across the university, with major technological initiatives across all schools and departments at Fresno State,� he said.

The ability to be relatable is also important to McDonald. “It is my intention to really be engaged with the students,� he said. “They are welcome to come by my office and talk with me about any of their concerns. I think that students will find me to be an accessible and engaged dean.�