Living with mental illness

College-related stressors can trigger first mental health episode

Curtis Q. Thornton̢۪s parents knew something was amiss when they received a phone call from him one evening around midnight.

Their 21-year-old son had a grandiose plan to sell vacuum cleaners that he thought would change his life. Thornton said the scheme would quickly make him a millionaire. He was also talking about the end of the world and becoming famous as a prophet.

“It was just unusual enough that we knew something was wrong,� Thornton’s father, Curtis A. Thornton Sr., 66, said.

The former Fresno State student, now 37, went to a psychologist at the prompting of his parents and he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. Bipolar disorder is a mental illness noted for mania of extreme highs and a sense of euphoria followed by intense lows and depression.

“We didn’t know anything about mental illness at that time,� Thornton Sr. said. “We just knew something was wrong.�

Age of depression

The university of Michigan Depression Center’s Web site refers to college as “the age of depression.� The Web site notes that research shows that symptoms for many mental illnesses surface in the early teens and increase throughout the mid-20s.

According to a 2004 survey of 47,202 students by the American College Health Association, more than 40 percent of all students became so depressed they had trouble functioning and 15 percent of students reported suffering from clinical depression.

The American Psychiatric Association̢۪s Web site reports that one out of four adults will experience a depressive episode by age 24.

Dr. Christine Edmondson, an associate professor at Fresno State and licensed clinical psychologist, explained that one̢۪s biology is the ultimate cause of a mental illness but the stress of college can trigger the onset of a mental illness.

“As you’re moving from childhood to adulthood you’re responsible for many more things and have more stressors. If you have a vulnerable for a biological problem the stress can weaken it,� Edmondson said. “College is when you really find out who you are and you might find out you have a health problem.�

Recognizing symptoms

Edmondson said symptoms for depression, bipolar disorder and schizophrenia begin to surface during the college years.

“It’s really important to tell the difference between normal, everyday, what we call ‘adjustment problems,’ and a mental illness,� Edmondson said.

Dr. Gena Gechter, the coordinator of psychological services at Health and Psychology Services at Fresno State, explained that an adjustment problem involves “a typical person with a typical problem that a lot of people would find stressful.� This includes starting college, juggling work and school, breakups and money problems.

Edmondson said two indications of a possible mental illness are constant distress or unhappiness and dysfunction. Dysfunction can manifest itself in a mild case as one̢۪s grades sinking or could cause someone to feel like they can̢۪t get up and get dressed or take care of their personal hygiene.

After Thornton suffered symptoms of bipolar disorder, including delusions, a loss of sleep, spending too much money, talking rapidly and depression, he voluntarily was hospitalized several times for days at a time.

Thornton Sr. explains that his son̢۪s disorder was an extreme case where his mania got to the point where he was acting psychotic and lost touch with reality.

Impact of mental illness

Edmondson says that living with a mental illness in college can affect one̢۪s grades, ability to finish college and one̢۪s relationships with family and friends.

Thornton was a business administration major and had played football at Fresno State for two seasons. When he was diagnosed with a mental illness his schoolwork suffered because he was either in the hospital or not well enough to study or go to class.
Friends and family didn̢۪t know exactly how to show support.

“At first it shocked everybody. They didn’t know how to react to it. They didn’t want to talk about it,� Thornton said.

Some of Thornton̢۪s friendships fell apart and his wife of eight years eventually divorced him because of his mental illness.

“As time went on I got more educated and I educated them [friends and family.] And things got much better,� Thornton said.

Edmondson recommends beginning treatment with counseling as some disorders can be resolved just with psychotherapy. If medication is needed this can be added to the treatment. Edmondson stresses the need for counseling as this can help individuals deal with the illness and learn more about themselves.

Thornton now takes medication every day and sees a therapist about once a month. He graduated from Fresno State in 1993 and hopes to return to school to earn his master̢۪s in social work. He is on the board of directors of The Mental Health Association of Fresno County and has volunteered with NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness.

Thornton earned his associate̢۪s degree in drug and alcohol counseling and has been working as a drug and alcohol counselor for an out-patient program for almost two years, helping individuals who suffer from a mental illness in conjunction with substance abuse.

His parents attended group sessions at NAMI when Thornton was first diagnosed with bipolar disorder and four years ago formed their own support group, a Christian-based group called The Beautiful Minds Family Support Group.

Finding support

Edmondson recommends that friends and family support individuals who have a mental illness by being good listeners, being there for the person and learning more about mental illness.

Off-campus support groups like NAMI, the Fresno County Mental Health, the Mental Health Association of Fresno County, Parent Providers, and Peer Support and Recovery Services are organizations that provide additional help to those affected by a mental disorder and family members of individuals with mental disorders.

On campus, free counseling is available to students through the University Health and Psychological Services. If recommended by a psychiatrist, students can receive medication for mental illness at the campus pharmacy. Counselors can also refer students to off campus psychologists. The Women̢۪s Resource Center and the Students with Disabilities office are other facilities on campus that provide support.

“I just want people to know that they don’t have to be ashamed if they have these types of problems. They don’t have to suffer alone. There are a lot of great groups out there that offer support. They can live a great life. It’s about wellness and recovery,� Thornton said.

Gechter and Edmondson agreed that living an optimal life with mental illness is possible as mental illnesses are very treatable.

“Mental illness is not all bad. If you think differently than other people then you have the potential to be more creative than others.
People with a mental illness have a lot to offer. If you’re really sensitive then you probably have a big heart and you have the capability to be compassionate to others,� Edmondson said.

Anxiety screening

University Health and Psychological Services at Fresno State is holding free anxiety screening Thursday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. The screening is focused on how to manage and deal with stress.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• L

LSep 30, 2008 at 4:44 pm

Thank you for demystifying and destigmatizing mental illness. I have been living with it since I was a child and no one would suspect it, save for some “quirky” characteristics that they attribute to my “creative” spirit.

The truth is that it is an on-going internal struggle with a lot of agony and pain. And I am not all I could be, because of self-sabotage that stems from my symptoms.

I am not receiving the medical care and treatment I need due to financial constraints. However, I am blessed that things are manageable for now.

Thank you for this fine article that reminds me that I am not alone. And that there is hope for a better future.

• L

LSep 30, 2008 at 11:44 pm