Is racism still an issue for our generation

THE UNUSUAL HAPPENED a few days back. I decided to attend a seminar and actually listen to someone else talk without interrupting.

The lecture was on the book “Freakonomics,” and if you did not attend, you missed out.

But the real reason I decided to write this piece is not because of the speaker, but because of an audience member.

While taking questions from the audience, a woman stood up and shocked the hell out of me.

She said she did not have a traditional sounding ‘African-American’ name, and asked if that might be the reason that she has not experienced much racism.

At first I just tossed the question aside in my mind, but as the days passed it became harder and harder to ignore.

Now if you have not read the book, it is basically about nothing; but it does have a section about the most white names and the most black names and such.

Interestingly enough, Scott was not the whitest name as many people have told me.

But that is not the issue — the issue here with all respect to the individual who asked the question that has plagued my mind for days now is this: are people dumb enough to think that racism truly still exists in the modern world?

With my initial in-head response of, “the reason why is because you are probably a well-educated person and people like you regardless of your skin color,” I dive head first into this touchy top-secret topic.

Bear with me here, and let me explain my position.

If you look at the world around you and the nation that you live in, there are so many different types of people that inhabit our lands that a true form of racism is hard to come by.

As a general rule of thumb, because of the convergence of our cultures and our individual ways of life, we are all starting to shape into the same society and the walls that used to divide us are tumbling down.

I think it long overdue that all races stop looking at the past as a serious source of reference and start looking at the individual in front of you to make your decisions.

All of my friends think I am white, but what is white really?

My relatives were not even here for the start of this country — they were still in Italy — but I have been accused of being a racist because of my skin color.

After all, if you are white, chances are that you hate everyone else, right?

Wrong! And let me tell you why. I don̢۪t judge people by their skin color or what they have done in the past; I judge them by their social merit, education, and their ability to contribute to society in a rational way. And that is the key word here: rational.

Is it rational to hold on to things that happened long before you were born?

I don’t think German people still talk about what a ‘‘great’’ leader Hitler was, and you don’t hear me talking about Mussolini either.

Really, it̢۪s just the past. Bad things have happened to every race at one point in time, but it is up to us as a nation and as a society to stop the cycle that still seems to exist in people̢۪s minds.

Simply put, unless someone says that they are racist, don̢۪t put that label on people.

While the people reading this have all had their own personal life experiences that have shaped them into the people that they are, is it still possible that the racist remarks and actions toward you are just in your head?

Could it be that because an individual is so hypersensitive that they just think everyone is against them?

Is it possible that a community of 20,000 people plus here on campus can actually be divided?

I don̢۪t think so.

I understand the reasoning behind this woman’s thoughts, but if we are ever to come together as a society and prevail — giving all that apply an equal chance for success — we are going to have to let these notions go.

So instead of hating your neighbor because he is African-American, hate the individual who sells the drugs down the street, and come together with your neighbor to stop it.

Instead of complaining about the opportunities that no one will give you, educate yourself and make it happen.

Trust me, no one is going to give you a job because of your skin color in corporate America.

They will however, if you are qualified and have the ability to contribute to their success.

I know that events have happened even in this century that perhaps should change my mind, but I choose not to acknowledge them.
No one should.

I will not stop talking with my Muslim friends because there are people out there stupid enough to think that every Muslim is a terrorist, but I will knock out the individual that subscribes to that notion.

Just do me a favor: go out today, and meet someone new.

Talk with someone of a different race.

Have a cup of coffee with them.

Embrace people for who they are, not what they have been labeled in the past. In the words of someone we all know well, “Can’t we all just get along?”

$100
$500

$100
$500

• H

Harry PlopperJul 25, 2007 at 1:29 pm

Wikipedia is hardly a valid source for news, politics, or any other facet of life for that matter. Look at the entry for USC for a case in point. OJ Simpson’s exploits are never mentioned. Al Gore’s entry steers clear of any criticism somehow. The entry for Stephen Cobert is 10 times as long as the entry for the War of 1812.

We do have a funny relationship with race in this nation even in the post-1990 period of absurd political correctness. How is Barack Obama an African-American? He had a white mother and an African father. How could the Don Imus thing get such a massive outcry from people and interests who really had no stake in what was thoughtlessly uttered? We exploit all matters of race in this nation and have a childish relationship with the topic.

Class is the key indicator. Obama grew up a wealthy child and teen. Hillary the same. They are from disadvantaged groups (black, female), yes, but countless honkys are raised in more despirate conditions. Slick Willy Clinton, for example. A class equalizing is more critical than any program of race-based affirmative action or equal access on grounds of gender and race.

• H

Harry PlopperJul 25, 2007 at 8:29 pm

meganJul 24, 2007 at 8:52 pm

I’m just now reading this, and I must say I find the conversation a little disturbing. Questioning the existence of racism is somewhat pointless, because even if 99.9% of Americans were actually tolerant (and we have no way of knowing,) there would still be people claiming to have been called racial slurs in Clovis or slapped in the South. Whether or not the country as a whole has come very far, you would still find individuals who hate other people because of what they look like.

But I’d go so far as to say that our country as a whole has done a lot to make this less of an issue. There aren’t any slaves anymore, and there aren’t separate bathrooms, and everyone gets to vote, and anyone can (theoretically) be President, as long as they were born here. Any law that makes racial distinctions, according to the Supreme Court, must do so without violating strict scrutiny. (Look it up on Wikipedia.)

So are there still occurrences of racism in this country? Yup. Is it the norm? I don’t really think so, no. The fact is, we will never be able to completely eliminate racism, sexism, classism, religious intolerance, or prejudice against alternative sexualities, as there will always be people looking for an excuse to keep other people down. But this is a democracy, and we can make things change some if we become active in our communities, speak our opinions, and vote, for God’s sake.

Oh–and if we’re gonna have government forms that differentiate between Cuban and Puerto Rican, than an Italian should be able to call himself an Italian. I never call myself a “white” girl; I’m Portuguese, and in terms of culture and heritage, I’m different from my Irish/Swedish roommate. White doesn’t mean anything. We have the right to claim backgrounds beyond skin color.

meganJul 25, 2007 at 3:52 am

• I

In a better place...Mar 24, 2007 at 12:43 am

While I was originally only interested in looking at the UHS article you wrote and the various responses it garnered, I think this is also a very controversial article.

I agree that people need to move on from the past. It is true that very few Germans suggest that Hitler was a great leader. At the same time, I think for the people who lived through World War Two or other such momentous events, it is hard not to focus on the past. My mother, for example, grew up under Communism, and so she still has the tendency to save everything (it was very difficult to come by material things when she was a chid), from shoes to scarves.

However, I do think racism still exists. It is most definitely nowhere near as widespread or severe as it was in the 1970’s and earlier. You’d be unlikely to find anyone anywhere in support of the Ku Klux Klan, for examaple. But we tend to stereotype, nevertheless, which is in itself a form of racism when the stereotypes are based on race. Furthermore, I can tell you, having spent many years in the South, since my family still resides there, that racism does exist. I myself experienced racism when on the first day of sixth grade a Black girl slapped me in the face because she didn’t like “White girls.”

So while I agree that racism is nowhere near as big a problem as it was in the past, and that people need not constantly refer to the past to comment about today, I definitely disagree that racism doesn’t exist at all.

• I

In a better place...Mar 24, 2007 at 7:43 am

JDMar 11, 2007 at 12:59 am

i didn’t misread this: “… are people dumb enough to think that racism truly still exists in the modern world?”

that was your thesis statement. you went on to “back this up” throughout the rest of the column. you refered to racism as if it were a giant scaly reptile killed by a massive meteor.

if that were not enough, you get off this blast: “While the people reading this have all had their own personal life experiences that have shaped them into the people that they are, is it still possible that the racist remarks and actions toward you are just in your head?”

meanwhile, my cousin got a very real, not-in-her-head, n-word dropped on her last weekend by some white guys in clovis.

then came the nonsense about corporate america that i can tell you is only your own naivety showing.

i did not misunderstand. i get you. you want racism to be over, a nice idea.

but it takes work to achieve, not a blind eye — even though it seems to you we have already found equality.

and hate to break it to you, but — nine out of 10 sociologists, anthropologists and dentists agree — italian is white.

JDMar 11, 2007 at 7:59 am

but it takes work to achieve, not a blind eye ”” even though it seems to you we have already found equality.

and hate to break it to you, but ”” nine out of 10 sociologists, anthropologists and dentists agree ”” italian is white.

snMar 11, 2007 at 6:57 am

No offense taken at all JD. you have your opinions and I competely respect that, but I do think you misread the article, or took what I said into a different context. And for the record, I am Italian, not white.

snMar 10, 2007 at 11:57 pm

JDMar 10, 2007 at 7:09 pm

haha, you (aa) just did, too, call me a racist.

this is in effect what you said: “you’re a racist… but i’m not calling you a racist.” it’s like when people say, “no offense, but…”

no. when people say, no offense, but… they really mean offense. it’s like when people say, “i’m not a racist, but…” or when people say, “some of my best friends are (fill in the blank)…” it pretty much means, if you’re stooping to that statement, yeah, you did something really racist.

aa, you might have not been calling “anybody” racist. but you did.

and i’ll tell you this, i am not racist against scott because i said he was white. racism is belief that your own race is superior. it’s when the majority, does things to handicap the minority.

i did nothing of the sort. i guessed (intelligently) that since he seemed to think there was no such thing as racism any more, he had to be white.

i’m not going to hide behind the internet. i’m mexican. and i’m white. i’m half. who cares? i don’t, but some people do, and i know that. in his article, scott’s trying to tell me that nobody cares. but i know they do, so he’s wrong.

here’s why i can’t be racist against scott. mexican is the minority, especially when it comes to positions of power. so how could i handicap him? how can use a fictional idea of mexican superiority to hold him down? how can i be racist against him?

i can’t.

here’s how i can tell he’s white. and i’ll put it in college terms that idealistic, ignorant-of-the-real-world, academia types can get with.

everyone who is a minority in america has been the victim of racism big or small and knows it’s there. since scott has not and knows not, he is obviously in the majority.

it’s fun for people who aren’t in the trenches and don’t feel real descrimination to want to fast forward things and make everything equal by blinking an eye and stating for all to see that we’re in harmony.

but as someone who identifies with two races, which live mish-mashed together in the valley, i can see how one views the other and vice versa. and it’s not harmony.

are race relations going the right direction? in a lot of ways, yes. in some ways, no. putting on a blindfold when white people still control 95% of the money and power and saying, “oh, we’re even now,” is ridiculous.

it’s something a college kid might write without really having the experience to back it up. sorry, scott, if it feels like we’re all piling up on you. but i think it’s a good thing you wrote what you did because there are lots of college kids who think like you.

that’s all you can ever do, write from your own persepctive. you don’t have to come out and wriggle around and try to restate yourself as if we didn’t understand.

we understood. some of us disagree.

(and all you others, don’t tell people that if they keep feeling the prejudice they are experiencing and don’t ignore it that THEY are the reason racism lives on. how dare you?! stop blaming the victims.)

JDMar 11, 2007 at 3:09 am

i can’t.

we understood. some of us disagree.

• I

isn't it interestingMar 10, 2007 at 1:57 am

I find it incredibly entertaining to listen (or read as the case may be) to people get “up in arms” about something, and to watch them do the exact thing they’re preaching against when something as heated as this topic is brought up. I also agree that racism still exists in America, yet I believe that the MAIN reason it exists is because it is a self perpetuating cycle started because some one who was LIVING in the past (not saying that history isn’t important, as is learning from past mistakes because it is…) who gets angry and hates someone else because of their skin color, or because of something they look like, and so THAT person hates the person who hates them, as do their friends, because lets face it, friends and family have a HUGE impact on the way we think and act. So then person A’s friends feel justified in hating person b, and thus we have racism STILL. HOWEVER. The point of this article (if I read it correctly, scott correct me if I’m wrong) was NOT to say that we live in an idealistic world, nor was it to say that anyone who thinks racism is still hugely prevalent is an idiot (yes, something like that was said, but I think it was intended to say that anyone who PERPETUATES that idea by contributing to racism is an idiot), but more likely to say that WE are the ones who can affect change and make a difference by reaching out the olive branch to someone you wouldn’t normally talk to, or making an effort in SOME way, whether it be visible or not, simply by reading the article and discussing the issue with people in an intelligent, educated manor, even if that means you disagree with what is written. But, you can’t tell me that there isn’t at least ONE sentence in the article which is valid. I mean, come one. Making new friends and doing what you can to break down walls ISN’T a good idea????

Anyway, I think you did a great job in openning this can of worms, Scott.

And remember…. when you ASSUME, you make an @$$ out of you and me!!

• I

isn't it interestingMar 10, 2007 at 8:57 am

• H

Hitenda NaddsMar 9, 2007 at 9:09 pm

The real problem is no longer racism, but such a great love and overzealous respect for multiculturalsim that sensitivity and feelings have trumped honesty and truth. Racism long ago lost its true meaning. Weekend college parties exposed by the media a month or two ago were really not racist as a matter of fact. The “gangsta parties” were poking fun at a genre of music and pop culture that often lambasts itself. Instead of having and open dialogue, we all took the PC position of calling anyone who took part in such a party a “racist.” If I’m white male and go to a party with malt liquor, ‘FUBU’ garb and gold teeth, does this make me a racist? According the the general public, it would indeed. Another example is the unrelenting respect we afford to every sect and subgrouping of the Islamic faith. Don’t even try to begin to expose those less-savory aspects of Islam undertaken by Muslims less you yourself be called “unaccepting.” So take the oppression of women, the supression of free speech, humorous drawings of Mohammed, and silence on terrorism and throw it under the rug. Don’t bring it into the public eye. Accept the intolerance shown by Islam as “different.” Don’t even try to question the African-American community for their laregely intolerant position on homosexuality. Don’t even get me started on how one group oppressed for so long can dislike another “equal but unequal” group with such vigor. Soon racism will fade out. Until then, droves of Chicano students will join groups like MECHA and African-American and Hmong students will join their respective race-based fraternities—All the while they will gather and halfheartedly tout the virtues of multiculturalsim and diversity.

• H

Hitenda NaddsMar 10, 2007 at 4:09 am

aaMar 9, 2007 at 6:11 pm

History is a part of our individual and collective heritage. So celebrate your family’s history and heritage, but don’t forget to celebrate how we, as a nation, have moved forward in this country.

Racism does still exist, you’re all right. And every one of us, like it or not, tend to have a racial perspective based on our own experiences; we just have a tendency to justify it as “stereotyping.” So when you see it/encounter it/experience it, speak up and let them know it’s not ok.

Making new friends is great – it encourages the diversity people in America are (hopefully) taught to embrace. In doing so, each of us will see how important it is to know the individual rather than the background.

This is what I took from the column… We all need to be proactive rather than reactive!

JD: you’re absolutely right in not tolerating racism. You’re right.. we shouldn’t ignore the racist. So let me point something out: you tolerated racism by saying that you knew Scott was White because of his opinion. Now, I’m not calling you or anyone a racist, but was that not a racial assumption based on what he expressed? Granted, there was a picture along with the article, is it really possible for anyone to decipher whether or not he was White just by reading the article (besides the fact that he revealed his Italian heritage)?

As far as I am concerned, I agree with much of the column. Can anyone guess what my nationality is? Because I HAVE experienced racism. The difference is that I didn’t let it define me; I took the experience and let people know they couldn’t judge me by making something of myself.

I just hope that we all teach future generations that racism is real, but that we ALSO teach them how to overcome it, not take pity in it. Keep bringing those walls down.

aaMar 10, 2007 at 1:11 am

JDMar 8, 2007 at 6:56 pm

yeah, let’s just ignore a problem that is getting better but is far from fixed! that’s the way to do it! there’s no way it could possibly get any worse!

that’s what the racists want you to do. they want you to let them be and tolerate their racism. that’s why this opinion is offensive.

i’m not going to tolerate racism. even if some will never realize that bigotry is wrong, we still have to let them know that it is.

you geniuses siding with this guy are going to be great parents.

JDMar 9, 2007 at 1:56 am

snMar 8, 2007 at 6:48 pm

I am not writing a disertation people, I leave the questions and the answers open ended becuase I want you all to think and to go home and talk about the subject with your friends and family and to create your own opinions on the matter. I do not appreciate any of you fighting and saying disrespectable things about each other, that was not the intent, but then again it makes this article what it was intended to be; a piece that makes the individual think…..once again thanks to all of you that read it, and I truely do hope that you start to think about the ideas from not just me but everyone that has posted comments………….maybe from now on I will just stick to the best beer or the tastiest taco for my column, but i doubt it:)

snMar 9, 2007 at 1:48 am

• L

losing the pointMar 8, 2007 at 6:36 pm

are you all that stupid? I dont think at all that the writer said anything about fully understanding how it felt to be persecuted against, but every single one of us has had things happen in our life that have fit the racism profile to a tee, but then again I dont think anyone that has commented on this article was picking cotton for their master yesterday nor where they sitting on the back of the bus or only using a “black” bathroom. it seems like all of you live in a cave!! of course there is racism in the world today(and i am smart enough to know that he actually did not say there was not, he simply suggested that ignoring the racist is the best way to deal with it, becuase none of you can nor anyone else can educate a racist becuase they are ignorant) I understand that the african american nation was put into slavery in the past, but there are no more slaves in this country now, so why keep it alive? I understand that the people that attacked this country on 9/11 where muslim, but that does not mean that all muslims are terrorists!! history is a way of remembering yes, but to hold onto the negative makes you a biggot fool that serioulsy needs to find something better to do. no one that has commented on this article and no one that has said anything negative about the writer should be allowed to do so simply becuase you dont even know him. you just think you read something that was simply not there. instead of claming that he just does not know, why dont you take his advice and go make a new friend, god knows you need to talk to someone!!

• L

losing the pointMar 9, 2007 at 1:36 am

• N

not funny anymoreMar 8, 2007 at 5:00 pm

Well I may not be an expert on racism myself, but I don’t think having friends of a different ethnicity and coming in contact with racism at one point in life is enough to mean you know anything about the topic.

It’s pretty safe to say most humans have similar experience.

Sure, we can say that racism, as in “I hate black people because they are black,” definitely isn’t as bad as it used to be. But regardless of this development, (seriously, who would admit to being racist in today’s world?) there are still vast social problems related to race and ethnicity: poverty, crime, etc.

It would be one thing if racism only led to hurt feelings, but there is an extreme amount of inequality in this country, and I think it would be ridiculous to assume this is because certain groups of people are somehow less equipped for success. Racism is accepting this inequality as just.

So yes, while overt racism among the general public has definitely become more bearable over the years (let’s not forget it wasn’t that long since women weren’t even allowed to vote), it would be silly to assume that everything is fine.

Back to the idea of understanding racism. I am not going to pretend I understand what it’s like to have my ancestors forced to a new country to indefinitely adapt as second-class citizens. Nor am I going to pretend to know what it’s like to inhabit a land that was mercilessly taken from my people.

I think it would be pretty insulting to pretend I did understand.

• N

not funny anymoreMar 9, 2007 at 12:00 am

• V

veronicaMar 8, 2007 at 2:33 pm

SN: the article is exactly what you made it… you are now trying to change your mind and your words so that you won’t appear how you did in the article (ignorant). There are many terrible quotes that can be taken from it that show the level of ignorance and just how unsympathetic you are.

I highly suggest reading the book “Uprooting Racism” by Kivel….

• V

veronicaMar 8, 2007 at 9:33 pm

snMar 8, 2007 at 2:12 pm

ok, i think some of you are focusing on key words rather than the large picture of it. I know how it reads, becuase i wrote the thing, but keep this in mind, while ignorance is bliss, focusing soley on what has happened on the past and the negative of the current is a losing battle. take forth and move forward. to write about a topic this controversial was difficult because I knew that I would offend someone and someone would bring to light that I am just a white male therefore i have no idea, but I do have an idea. I have friends of many different races and have witnessed racist acts against them. the point is not to ignore the past, but rather understand that what happened does not have to counteract the fact that “most” people today do not have those notions anymore.
    but please, keep the comments coming, I would love to hear what the rest of you think on the topic, whether you think my thoughts right or wrong.

snMar 8, 2007 at 9:12 pm

• G

Gustavo EnriquezMar 8, 2007 at 2:04 pm

I do agree that we should not be extreme and be quick to label someone a racist. We also, should not have extreme thoughts like; believe that racism does not exist, nor that thoughts of racism are just in our heads. Unless, you are a hardcore supremacist, you are not going to make it public that you have racist thoughts. People know exactly what to say and when to say it, so they do not appear to be racist. Also we should not be quick to forget about the atrocious events that have added to racism. I know this is a touchy subject and it would be easy to say, “Hey lets just forget about it and move forward.� Should we forget about the Holocaust? No! We must acknowledge the long history of racism, so that we can ensure that it never happens again! Silence is the co-partner of racism and helps racism persist. Maybe our society is hypersensitive, or maybe incidents like James Byrd Jr. justify some of our original cognitions. Byrd was chained to the back of a truck, and dragged for several miles, by several supremacists. Byrd’s case is an extreme one, but you can find settle cases everywhere. Racism has many gray areas. Not everyone is a racist, nor is racism nonexistent today. Yes, we should not judge a group by the actions of few. Yes, we should look towards the future, so that we can build a better tomorrow. No, we should not forget how we got here as a society! Silence is racism.

• G

Gustavo EnriquezMar 8, 2007 at 9:04 pm

I do agree that we should not be extreme and be quick to label someone a racist. We also, should not have extreme thoughts like; believe that racism does not exist, nor that thoughts of racism are just in our heads. Unless, you are a hardcore supremacist, you are not going to make it public that you have racist thoughts. People know exactly what to say and when to say it, so they do not appear to be racist. Also we should not be quick to forget about the atrocious events that have added to racism. I know this is a touchy subject and it would be easy to say, “Hey lets just forget about it and move forward.” Should we forget about the Holocaust? No! We must acknowledge the long history of racism, so that we can ensure that it never happens again! Silence is the co-partner of racism and helps racism persist. Maybe our society is hypersensitive, or maybe incidents like James Byrd Jr. justify some of our original cognitions. Byrd was chained to the back of a truck, and dragged for several miles, by several supremacists. Byrd’s case is an extreme one, but you can find settle cases everywhere. Racism has many gray areas. Not everyone is a racist, nor is racism nonexistent today. Yes, we should not judge a group by the actions of few. Yes, we should look towards the future, so that we can build a better tomorrow. No, we should not forget how we got here as a society! Silence is racism.

• E

Everything wrong with the U.S.Mar 8, 2007 at 1:55 pm

this is ignorance at its finest.

The author clearly stated that he does not believe that racism exists today…”are people dumb enough to think that racism truly still exists in the modern world?”
    he even went so far as to call people “dumb” for believing that it does. Racism is not blatant the way it used to be nor is it institutionalized as it was in the past but there IS still racism, and plenty of it.

by the author’s later comment, he said he wanted to “open minds to ideas. to start relevant conversation” but with the kind of opinions he has on the matter, he is clearly not capable of engaging in an intellectual an sympathetic conversation about racism and race relations. Scott Newman: you need to educate yourself, history DOES have a place in today’s world, what happened then has clearly affected how people live today. anybody who is TRULY educated (a college degree does not guarantee that) would never deny that history has played a huge role in racism and race relations. You are asking people to stop acknowledging history…how dare you!?! We are talking about people still living today who’s rights to an equal education were denied, where would they be now had they had the same opportunities as white people did? Things barely changed in the 60’s sweetie, you can’t ask the people who went through that time period to stop acknowledging the oppression they were put through. SN’s article is shameful and typical of a white male. Read up on your race relations – and with an open mind.

• E

Everything wrong with the U.S.Mar 8, 2007 at 8:55 pm

this is ignorance at its finest.

AshleyMar 8, 2007 at 1:36 pm

I understand where he is comming from good article just need to go in better detail about your examples to prove your point.

AshleyMar 8, 2007 at 8:36 pm

snMar 8, 2007 at 12:47 pm

DM, that is exactly what I was talking about. I do realize that there is still racism, but the idea of the article was to open minds to ideas. to start relevant conversation, and by the looks of it, all that have left comments have probably talked with someone about the topic. The article made you all think, therefore I beleive that it worked. And thank you HAHA for the initial comment, your attitude is lacking by proves a valuable point about how people still think. thanks for the comments guys

snMar 8, 2007 at 7:47 pm

DMMar 8, 2007 at 10:31 am

I also attended the Freakonomics Lecture, and I agree with Scott. I don’t think discrimination is as prevalent today as it was 100 years ago, 50 years ago, or even 10 years ago. Let’s face it, times are changing and walls are coming down. You want an example? Let’s look at who is running for President this next term. The fact that some of the candidates are even options shows that we as a nation are growing. Is there still racism? Yes. Are there still Nazi’s? I’m sure there are. But you have to admit that we have grown leaps and bounds and are becoming the melting pot that America was meant to be.

DMMar 8, 2007 at 5:31 pm

JDMar 8, 2007 at 12:06 am

wait, is this kook saying there isn’t racism in america? this has to be a joke.

you must be stuck in some kind of coccoon, scott. i’d say it’s obvious you are white by reading this, because if you identified with any real minority (excluding italian immigrants, haha) you’d have felt some descrimination sometime.

go to the deep south. heck, go to deep clovis. you don’t think there are people in positions of power who will hire based on skin color? wait til you try to get a job.

you will see whites hiring whites. blacks hiring blacks. whites hiring blacks and any combination. but you’ll be surprised at how much of the hiring is racially motivated. you’ll see.

i’ve hear colleagues complain about their business having to make a “minority hire.” my answer is there wouldn’t be any need to make minority hires if there was any true diversity.

but there isn’t. in fact, there are far too few people who even appreciate the idea of diversity.

JDMar 8, 2007 at 7:06 am

jeremy AmoneMar 7, 2007 at 11:35 pm

The article was very interesting. I think the writer is right about most all of his points, but could have gone into detail a little more. the comment that was left before me only proves that there are still ignorant people in the world and I hope he realizes what he is saying, because he is an idiot. And I hope that the writer realizes that many people agree with him. very well done on this article.

jeremy AmoneMar 8, 2007 at 6:35 am

• H

hahaMar 7, 2007 at 4:52 pm

What a ridiculous piece. Seriously laughable. But I’m not sure that is the intention.

You talk about walls tumbling down, but fail to provide any example.

You also mention the past. You don’t think the past – bringing a whole race of people from Africa to this country, where they were basically colonized, or maybe taking land from native Americans or Mexicans – has anything to do with the current state of race relations?

Give us all a break.

I’m also wondering how you know anything about corporate America. Maybe you are a CEO of a successful company, but I doubt it.

I really hope this article is some sort of sad attempt at satire.

• H

hahaMar 7, 2007 at 11:52 pm

Give us all a break.