FS will host business event

On March 17, Fresno State will host the National Hispanic Business Association Spring Regional Meeting. It is the first time Fresno State will host the event, after winning the bid to serve as the host school.

NHBA serves as the national umbrella organization for the Fresno State Hispanic Business Student Association chapter. NHBA will extend invitations meeting to universities in California, Arizona and Utah. The all-day event will focus on student leadership and networking.

The Fresno State HBSA chapter was among several universities in the western region to submit a bid to host the event.

David Pena, Jr., the executive director for NHBA, described the purpose of the national organization as well as his goals for the meeting. “We hope that the resources we provided will help them develop the skills to be strong leaders, gain professional experience through internships and build the path to successful business careers.�

Pena also described how Fresno State stood out among the other universities in the running, “Fresno State won the bid due in part to its impressive number of members who attended the 2006 NHBA Leadership Conference.�

Speaking highly of the students he met, Pena said, “Fresno State had the largest contingency of any California school attending the leadership conference and won the right to carry the state flag during the presentation of states at the opening ceremony.�

During the leadership conference, which took place in November 2006, HBSA represented Fresno State by bringing almost 100 percent of its membership. “The National Board of Directors viewed this as a true commitment from Fresno State’s student leaders to the mission of NHBA,� Pena said.

Pena also revealed some of the guest speakers who will visit the campus for the meeting. “Attending the Western Regional Meeting will be corporate recruiters from the Regional Meeting sponsor UnumProvident, who will make a presentation to students on their company and opportunities within the industry,� Pena said. “Leadership development will come from the nationally recognized Monster Diversity Leadership Program.�

Also on the meeting agenda is a presentation by the Hispanic Heritage Foundation. It will discuss the Latinos On Fast Track internship program.
Fresno State̢۪s own Dr. Victor B. Olivares will serve as the keynote speaker and guest lecturer for the event. Olivares is a coordinator for both Digital Campus and the Summer Bridge Program at Fresno State. He is also the long-time HBSA adviser.

Adrian Olivares, son of Dr. Olivares, serves as the vice president of HBSA. Adrian Olivares was present when Pena announced that Fresno State won the meeting bid. “I’m excited, because the meeting is new to Fresno State,� Adrian Olivares said. “I think the business school will get great exposure from this event.�