Former Collegian editors win photography award

The Collegian is proud to announce that former photo editors Andrew Riggs and Joseph Hollak have won a breaking news photography award from the Society of Professional Journalists.

Riggs and Hollak won a Region 11 Mark of Excellence Award for their coverage of the police-involved shooting near campus on Aug. 30, 2006. The actual place awarded will be announced on May 5 in Fullerton, Calif.

Hollak, a senior digital media major, was The Collegian photo editor in spring 2005. It was by chance that Hollak was on campus when the shooting occurred. Hollak happened to have a camera in his truck, which he used to capture the images that would run on the front pages of The Collegian.

“I was thrilled to have gotten the content online before any other local news organization,� Hollak said.

Riggs, a senior photojournalism major, was photo editor at the time of the shooting.

He got the phone call that brought him to campus early that morning from then Collegian adviser Greg Lewis.

“It was somewhat early in the morning and I came to campus,� Riggs said. “At the time it was pretty hectic; it was the second day of school.�

Riggs said he remembered being carted around in between classes. He said in trying to cover the event, there was a “long amount of waiting with action in between,� Riggs said.

Riggs said he was “pretty stoked� about the award and added that he was definitely surprised to find that he and Hollak had won.
“It’s cool. Hollak and I can have something to bond over, if you will,� Riggs said.

Hollak said, “I’m just doing it for the people.�

$100
$500

$100
$500

• F

FSDogs1Mar 29, 2007 at 12:28 pm

The Collegian has an AMAZING recent history of talented photographers, and it’s great to see the awards keep coming in!

• F

FSDogs1Mar 29, 2007 at 7:28 pm

• F

FSDogs1Mar 29, 2007 at 7:28 pm

JDMar 28, 2007 at 4:42 pm

lets see the photos!!

good job, you guys.

JDMar 28, 2007 at 11:42 pm

lets see the photos!!

good job, you guys.

JDMar 28, 2007 at 11:42 pm

lets see the photos!!

good job, you guys.

Joseph HollakMar 28, 2007 at 8:54 am

Thank you for the story and the recognition.

It has been a pleasure working with the different staffs and editors of The Collegian since I picked up a digital camera for the first time in the Fall 2004 semester.

In particular, Kirstie Hettinga, who worked diligently on the morning of the shooting to get the news, photos and video posted to The Collegian Online. You made it priority to get the information online before any other news organization in Fresno and you offered us an outlet for our work.

Thank you Kirstie. You are a wonderful editor to work for.

Joseph HollakMar 28, 2007 at 3:54 pm

Joseph HollakMar 28, 2007 at 3:54 pm