Club busts out spades to beautify campus

With the environment becoming a hot topic everywhere in the world, Fresno State̢۪s Ornamental Horticulture Club is taking a stand against the misuse of water on the CSUF campus.

The club̢۪s adviser, Dr. John Bushoven, suggested to the club members that the courtyard of the Agricultural Sciences building be remodeled for more water-efficient plants.

The courtyard does not have a bad design Bushoven said, it just needs some more efficient plants.

The plan was put on the table just recently, Eeshan Mokashi, the club̢۪s president said.

Two students were given the task to find plant donors, Mokashi said. The students along with Susan Stiltz, a landscaper from Fresno and one of the founders of Tree Fresno, have compiled a list of 15 types of vegetation to planted in the courtyard.

The idea of the new courtyard is to enhance the existing landscape, Bushoven said. “We don’t want to completely rip out what is there.�

“The main expense,� Mokashi said, “is the trees.�

Mokashi said he will be writing up a proposal to ask the dean of the agricultural science department for funding. Mokashi is hoping to get funding for lunch or team t-shirts for the day of the planting.

The project will hopefully be done by late April, Mokashi said. “It’s a slow process,� Bushoven said.

The planting should take two to three days, Bushoven and Mokashi said.

Mokashi said three of the 15 types of plants have been donated to the remodel.

As well as planning this remodel, the club also has other fund-raisers and activities. Once a month, the Horticulture club has a plant sale in the Free Speech Area. March 2, will be the next sale.

From 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. the club will be selling to students and staff. For this sale they have a variety of houseplants but are in the process of growing 400 gloxinia plants for Mother̢۪s day. The gloxinia looks like an African Violet and is very popular, Bushoven said.

The plants that are sold at the plant sale and at the Farmer̢۪s Market at Chestnut and Barstow are all home-grown from seed or from cuttings.