Can’t get no job satisfaction: Those under 25 dislike work

Despite friendly co-workers or a quick daily commute, a recent study showed that Americans are growing increasingly unhappy with their jobs — especially those under 25.

Less than half of the 5,000 U.S. households surveyed said they were satisfied with their current jobs. The total percentage of satisfied American workers has declined more than 11 percent in the last 20 years.

One alarming result of the study by The Conference Board found that the largest group of Americans who hated their job were under the age of 25. From this age group, less than 39 percent reported job satisfaction.

Though researchers appeared somewhat startled by the results, Fresno State students did not seem all that surprised.

Erica Quintero, a 22-year-old accounting major, was not shocked by the findings. “This doesn’t surprise me at all,� Quintero said. “I totally hate my job and don’t quit because I make good money for what I do.�

Quintero, who works in accounting for a mortgage and wireless phone company, also revealed that her dissatisfaction was not intensified by being a student.

“Being a student does make it hard,� Quintero admitted about managing her time. “My schedule gets in the way of work, but it doesn’t make me hate my job any more. I hate the stress of my job the most.�

Rita Bocchinfuso-Cohen, Director of Career Services, said students such as Quintero can become dissatisfied by their work if they are not in a suitable atmosphere.

“The work world has changed quite a bit, and young workers are not necessarily ready for it,� Bocchinfuso-Cohen said. “They need to learn more about themselves and the kind of environment they can work in.�

Business major Sophia Reyes offered another reason for the dissatisfaction seen in her age group. “Actually it really doesn’t surprise me that these people hate their jobs. I think most people who are under 25 do not have the job they plan on being at forever.�

Reyes, 20, explained how this age group finds jobs simply to meet their needs for survival. “Most of my co-workers are under 25, and they don’t think we have the world’s greatest job,â€? Reyes said. “Sometimes, we stay just to ‘get by’ or ‘until I get a real job.’â€?

These “real jobs� are often out of reach for new graduates, Bocchinfuso-Cohen said. Students often carry very high expectations that ultimately leave them disillusioned.

“Many new college grads just entering the workforce have expectations that they can bypass the drudge-work with their degree,� Bocchinfuso-Cohen said.

In addition to high expectations, entrepreneurship major Erik Carlow noted that older workers have more reason to be satisfied with their jobs.

“They’ve had more time to find a better job, something that actually suits them,� Carlow, 21, said. “We just don’t understand the professional workforce yet.�

For those who are unsatisfied with their jobs, Bocchinfuso-Cohen described things students can do to prevent this early on.

“Summer jobs and internships that offer career-related experience are some of the best ways to learn what makes you happy,� she said. “And of course, don’t be afraid to try something new.�

$100
$500

$100
$500

The ProletariatMar 9, 2007 at 5:49 pm

Work sucks.

We go through the huge hassle of college to do what? Be slaves for the rest of our lives!

OK so it’s not that bad, but it’s still not fun.

The ProletariatMar 10, 2007 at 12:49 am

Work sucks.