Aiming for national championship

Women̢۪s water polo club member Megan Eldredge practices with the team at Clovis West High School. The team finished third in the nation last season.
Andrew Riggs / The Collegian.

They may have to raise their own funds and book their own hotel rooms for out-of-town matches, but that hasn̢۪t stopped Fresno State̢۪s women̢۪s water polo club members from making a splash in the pool this season.

The club is ranked second in the 2007 Women̢۪s Club Top 20, according to the Collegiate Water Polo Association.

The water polo club competes with other schools such as UC Davis, CSU Chico, Saint Mary̢۪s College and California Maritime Academy.

For the past two years, the club has been invited to the national collegiate club tournament. Only two teams from California get an opportunity to go and compete with teams that placed first in their division all across the country.

The first year the club went to a tournament, it received 10th place out of 16 teams. Last year the club was named 15th seed, but quickly worked its way up to third in the nation by the end of the season.

“This year because California got split into two [divisions], there is a very strong look for us to go to the national championship,” Beth Bartlett, club president and co-captain said.

Head coach Patrick Guyett agreed. “Our primary goal is to stay undefeated and win the national championship,” Guyett said.

Any full time student attending Fresno State who has some water polo background is encouraged to join.

Levels of the club members vary from high school to college level.

“We have players ranging from all different levels of competition,” Bartlett said.

The club members have varied skill levels, but that hasn̢۪t held them back.

“We are by far the most the most aggressive team in the conference. We are very physical and not afraid to mix it up,” Guyett said.

Team members agreed.

“We’ve become more than friends. It’s nice to have people back you up in any situation,” Imai said.

Some advantages for members of the club include traveling and being on a competitive water polo team with the opportunity to go to Boston for the national championships.

With the exception of Associated Students and President Welty, which provide the club with a certain amount of funding each semester, the water polo club is in charge of financing its own trips including finding a ride to the events and funding their own hotel rooms for competitions and tournaments.

The club raises money by sponsoring different events.

“We’ve done a golf tournament, a poker tournament, hosted a couple car washers, asked sponsors and Bulldog supporters, friends and families too,” club member Laura Imai said. “Sometimes Associated Students and President Welty give us money at the end if we can’t make it.”

The next club tournament will be held on April 14 to 15 at Clovis West High School. Anyone wishing to cheer on the team is encouraged to attend.

For more information or questions about the women’s water polo club contact Beth Bartlett at [email protected].

$100
$500

$100
$500

Jd=prickMar 28, 2007 at 12:19 am

JD, which highly strenuous activity do you participate in? I welcome you to come play in one of our open tournaments, I’m sure since its a “fictional league” that you would just destroy all of the so called competition.
    Let me tell you how a lot of NCAA water polo programs around California work, the coaches only have room for so many red shirts, they tell the athletes to play on the club team, refine their skills and work on getting stronger and faster and come out next year. That̢۪s for teams that do have NCAA teams, unlike ours and cal poly who don̢۪t, in that case you get a lot of well trained athletes that still want to play water polo.
    I̢۪m on the men̢۪s water polo team, and although we may not be funded like some other athletic programs, most of out team trains year round swimming and playing water polo. I̢۪m sorry that you are very ignorant about the many hardworking athletes that belong to the club sports here at Fresno State, ill be expecting to see you at the open tournament next fall

Jd=prickMar 28, 2007 at 7:19 am

Let me tell you how a lot of NCAA water polo programs around California work, the coaches only have room for so many red shirts, they tell the athletes to play on the club team, refine their skills and work on getting stronger and faster and come out next year. That’s for teams that do have NCAA teams, unlike ours and cal poly who don’t, in that case you get a lot of well trained athletes that still want to play water polo.
    I’m on the men’s water polo team, and although we may not be funded like some other athletic programs, most of out team trains year round swimming and playing water polo. I’m sorry that you are very ignorant about the many hardworking athletes that belong to the club sports here at Fresno State, ill be expecting to see you at the open tournament next fall

JoeMar 24, 2007 at 9:31 am

JD-

You are so right on! I think we should take it a step further and donate our monopoly games so this team could use “fictional” money to pay for their “fictional” flights and tournaments. Wait….does this team even exsist? Is it all “fictional?”…a bunch of “fictional rejects”

JD you should become the athletic director! Down with Welty and crown JD! Wait…better yet JD for president!

JD-get a life, lighten up! …oh I hope I’m not whining too much.

JoeMar 24, 2007 at 4:31 pm

JD-

• P

polo memberMar 23, 2007 at 6:27 pm

well. i am a member of the polo team and i had no idea so many comments were being made about the article. Number one, for all of those who do support club sports then thank you for your comments, and for those that dont and think that the “rejectsâ€? on the team could not make an ncaa cut (JD), we have 4 players on our team who previously played for top 20 RANKED VARSITY teams, 2 of which were all American award winners for those teams, we have 3 all american award winners currently on our team, (2 from current club champ awards and also varsity , and 1 from club), and in the past three seasons where we’ve made it to the national champ tournament, we’ve had 4 all American award winners. So it’s quite obvious that you don’t really know what you’re talking about, so i definitely disagree that no one on our team would make the varsity team if Fresno state ever had one. Our team has legit talent.

Also. we were not whining about the $$. All clubs know and understand FULL WELL that whatever trips or purchases they have to make during the year, will come out of their own budget. We were simply publicly announcing our great accomplishments (considering this is actually something positive happening for Fresno State), and alerting the readers of our commitment to pursuing excellence in the realm of club sports for Fresno State regardless of the financial cost. meaning, yes the national tournament costs well over $10,000 but if we make it, we will still go because we are committed.

We were not claiming our club is better than any other clubs on campus, no where in the article did it mention something about that…so I’m not sure where you got that from, and also no where in the article did we mention ever whining about not having fans…

I would encourage you, JD who obviously opposes club sports, or perhaps even just the water polo team, to actually come to our home tournament to see what we̢۪re like. A lot of pride goes into our program, and we take a lot of pride in representing our school at the national championship tournament, which by the way, is very real, not fictional.

and yes, mike, the water polo community is trying to think of ways to approach welty and the head honchos to get them to listen to our argument for implementing aquatics back into fresno state. I think since fresno pac is getting one, fresno state’s chances are higher now.

All in all, you guys who support us are great! Hopefully we̢۪ll see you at our tournament April 14-15 at Clovis West High School and thanks for taking time to comment the article!

• P

polo memberMar 24, 2007 at 1:27 am

well. i am a member of the polo team and i had no idea so many comments were being made about the article. Number one, for all of those who do support club sports then thank you for your comments, and for those that dont and think that the “rejects” on the team could not make an ncaa cut (JD), we have 4 players on our team who previously played for top 20 RANKED VARSITY teams, 2 of which were all American award winners for those teams, we have 3 all american award winners currently on our team, (2 from current club champ awards and also varsity , and 1 from club), and in the past three seasons where we’ve made it to the national champ tournament, we’ve had 4 all American award winners. So it’s quite obvious that you don’t really know what you’re talking about, so i definitely disagree that no one on our team would make the varsity team if Fresno state ever had one. Our team has legit talent.

I would encourage you, JD who obviously opposes club sports, or perhaps even just the water polo team, to actually come to our home tournament to see what we’re like. A lot of pride goes into our program, and we take a lot of pride in representing our school at the national championship tournament, which by the way, is very real, not fictional.

All in all, you guys who support us are great! Hopefully we’ll see you at our tournament April 14-15 at Clovis West High School and thanks for taking time to comment the article!

Mike GreysonMar 21, 2007 at 12:00 pm

This is why Fresno State’s admin. (sports, policy, outreach, etc., etc.) sucks big time. Almost every major UC/CSU has a top-notch water polo intercollegiate NCAA or NAIA team. LB St.. SJSU, SDSt., Northridge, UCSB, UCSC, UCSD, UCLA, and UCI…………our community unconditionally backs the few sports FSU has to offer at a level that is seen in few other communities. We pack in 5,000 for women’s hoops, 12,000 for men’s hoops, and at least 1,800 for weekday baseball games versus the likes of Dallas Baptist. Then our administration feeds us garbage about budgetary shortfalls—-I know Berkeley doesn’t draw as well in sports like men’s soccer–how is that team still fiscally viable yet we get 4,000 to come out and see our boys play UCLA and the next year they get the axe? Is Bakersfield St. packing an arena with 9,000 heads to see them wrestle Iowa St.? People need to start to demand answers from Welty, Boeh, and the other honchos. This whole situation is sad and smells fishy. But lets just plead stupidity and move onto next lesser things like the decline in the quality of the average CSU Fresno student and the fact that we have no sufficient study areas for students.

Mike GreysonMar 21, 2007 at 7:00 pm

JJMar 20, 2007 at 6:24 pm

instead of talking sh*t back to each other. why don’t we just agree that club sports aren’t your “ordinary” college funded teams. however, they are still full of dedicated athletes who put in as much time and effort as any college-funded athletic team. we also need to congratulate these ladies on kicking ass in a sport where not much publicity is given out. for those of you who don’t know or understand what water polo is, it’s a little more intense than people would think. congratulations lady bulldogs and good luck.

JJMar 21, 2007 at 1:24 am

JDMar 20, 2007 at 3:23 pm

to MS, i was talking about club sports in general, not just water polo. i meant jerseys as a generic term for equipment.

and if the school actually had a real water polo team, none of the rejects on the club team would make the cut.

to jane doe, i was not complaining about the article or the writing. i’m just tired of the club teams acting like they are actually scholarship sports and begging to be treated as if they are.

if they weren’t complaining about “paying their own way and stuff” then how would the reporter know to write that? why would the reporter think it’s important enough to reference in the first sentence?

and jane doe, bashing two posters for their word choices in one day? how courageous of you.

i could have said club sports f@*&ing suck. you want to turn the tables on that, too? do i f@*&ing suck?

to mr. harley: i like that you have some people complaining that nobody ever uses these comment boards, while other people (like jane doe) try to chase people who use them away.

it’s a funny little paradox.

JDMar 20, 2007 at 10:23 pm

it’s a funny little paradox.

• E

EducationMar 20, 2007 at 1:51 pm

I’m a sports fan, but the last thing this campus needs is more sports teams. Let’s learn!

• E

EducationMar 20, 2007 at 8:51 pm

Jane DoeMar 20, 2007 at 1:09 am

“the fact that they whine about not having fans and having to buy their own jerseys is utterly lame.”

..uh how do i put this kindly? I think the fact that you are bitching about some lead in a COLLEGE newspaper is utterly lame. Actually, the fact that you’re whining about a club sport that has to fund thier own trips is also utterly lame at best.

In fact, YOU’RE pretty darn lame JD!! =] Have a splendid day.

Jane DoeMar 20, 2007 at 8:09 am

MSMar 20, 2007 at 12:30 am

Well maybe if the school funded a so called “real” water polo team, then they wouldn’t have had to make a club team. And from what I read in the article no one was “whining” about having to raise money. In addition, the team has plenty of fans and water polo players do not wear jerseys. Obviously you have never been to a game.

MSMar 20, 2007 at 7:30 am

JDMar 19, 2007 at 11:56 pm

“They may have to raise their own funds and book their own hotel rooms for out-of-town matches, but that hasn’t stopped…”

don’t all clubs have to raise their own money and book their own travel arrangements? why is this lede supposed to shock people?

club sports are not real sports! they are clubs, and SURPRISE! — they aren’t part of the athletic department.

if they win a (fictional) ‘national championship’, they should be happy and the school should be proud. but it’s no more important than when any club on campus succeeds.

the fact that they whine about not having fans and having to buy their own jerseys is utterly lame.

to me, club sports are no more legit than this new club:

SAVING MONEY CLUB:
    (March, 2007) Dedicated to the finding and promoting those findings of available on and off campus tools and opportunities that can assist University students in making cost-effective decisions, and the communication of organization-relevant findings to the larger campus community.
    (found at http://studentaffairs.csufresno.edu/studentact/clubs-orgs/club-interest1.html)

maybe the saving money club can point the water polo club in the direction of a good discount flight and hotels web site.

JDMar 20, 2007 at 6:56 am

club sports are not real sports! they are clubs, and SURPRISE! ”” they aren’t part of the athletic department.

SAVING MONEY CLUB: