40 days and 40 nights of sacrifices

Non-Catholics join in on giving up vices during Lenten season

Although Lent is rooted in the Roman Catholic religion, it is becoming a cultural phenomenon as well.

Catholics aren̢۪t the only ones celebrating Lent; non-Catholics are joining in, too.

“Friends that are Catholic are setting an example to those who are non-Catholic,� Father Michael A. Burchfield of St. Paul Newman Church said. “Some see it as a way to grow in other religions. They see value in Lent.�

Ash Wednesday signifies the beginning of the Lent season, and some Catholics give up typical habits or vices such as soda or fast food for 40 days. Lent is the 40 days before celebrating Holy Week and Easter Sunday. The 40 days represent the 40 days that Jesus went to the desert for prayer and fasting.

Mercedes Rodriguez, who was baptized as a Catholic, is giving up soda.

“I converted to Christianity a couple of years ago, but my mother raised me as a Catholic,� Rodriguez said. “I’m giving up soda for my mother, even though I practice Christianity now.�

Morgan Williams, a Fresno State business major, watched students walk through the Free Speech Area with spots of black ash rubbed against their foreheads in a symbolic sign of the cross on Ash Wednesday.

Williams, 18, said her mother̢۪s side of the family is Catholic but she was baptized Presbyterian when she was a year old.

“I am not baptized Catholic, but I am giving up snacking between meals and eating after 7:30 p.m. I find it an excellent test of will,� Williams said.

A native of Fresno, Father Michael will be giving up more than just candy.

“Instead of just giving up anything, I am trying to be more patient when driving the streets of Fresno,� he said.

Sometimes the reason behind giving up something lies in a relationship between two different religions.

Cameron Sanders, 25, was raised with Christian beliefs but is changing his spending habits for his fiancée, who is Catholic.

“Although I am not Catholic, I am giving up spending money on unnecessary items like going out on the weekends to clubs or bars and only paying for the necessities like food and rent,� Sanders said. “I find it a beneficial learning experience.�

Brittany Dingler, Sander’s fiancée and liberal studies major, has also given up spending on unnecessary items in addition to eating sweets.

“We are both giving up spending money on items that aren’t necessities,� Dingler said. “This also helps prepare us financially for the future when we do get married.�