̢۪Dogs safely net victory over Trojans

Juan Villa / The Collegian

When the Fresno State women̢۪s tennis team returned home from its match against No. 8 USC on Wednesday, the Trojans were upset.

The 13th-ranked Bulldogs used clutch performances and determination to win the highly contested match 4-3.

After both teams split the first two doubles matches, Fresno State sophomores Melanie Gloria and Tinesta Rowe provided crucial heroics. The doubles team saved multiple match points and then defeated the duo of Lindsey Nelson and Julie Smekodub 9-8 in a tiebreaker to clinch the doubles point for the Bulldogs.

The doubles point would prove to be the difference in the match as the teams split six singles matches.

Gloria, ranked third nationally, continued her dominant play as she cruised to a 6-2, 6-2 victory over No. 8 Nelson.

Fresno State also received a strong performance from No. 70 Anastasia Petukhova. The freshman defeated Anca Anasasiu in a dominant 6-1, 6-2 performance.

With the score tied 3-3, the match rested on the match between two freshman sensations.

Fresno State̢۪s Renata Kucerkova, who is ranked No. 71, played in the second-spot and defeated No. 12 Sarah Fransler 6-1, 2-6, 6-3 in three sets to secure the Bulldogs̢۪ upset bid.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Benjamin BaxterMar 25, 2007 at 2:58 am

Woot for freshmen usurping a No. 12 Trojan. Any Trojan defeat is a good defeat, whether or not that team is any good.

I love petty rivalry almost as much as Greyson loves “debacle.”

Benjamin BaxterMar 25, 2007 at 9:58 am