Criticism of Oprah’s “dream” project unfounded

OPRAH IS A woman people either love to love or love to hate. Especially when it comes to a controversy. From James Frey and his not so true nonfiction book, “A Million Little Pieces,” to her claim that she wouldn’t eat another hamburger and the effect she had on the cattle industry — her actions definitely stir up some buzz.

The most recent controversy with Oprah̢۪s name stamped on it appears on the surface not to have two sides to it. Oprah spent $40 million to open The Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy, a boarding school for girls in South Africa. The school is opening with spots for 152 girls, grades seven through 12.

The TV-host has called this her dream, something she has worked towards for five years.

To me, it seems like the only way to react to that would be to commend Oprah for sharing her wealth with children who truly need her help. This is her way to provide a once in a life time opportunity to young girls, to give them an education, hope and a safe place to live and learn.

But everyone doesn̢۪t see it that way and Oprah̢۪s critics have come out to voice their opinions.

Newsweek writer Allison Samuels criticized Oprah for the lavish design of the school that is set on 22 acres and divided into 28 buildings. Samuels listed the school̢۪s perks such as a yoga studio, a beauty salon, indoor and outdoor theatres and oversized rooms with scorn, referring to the school as extravagant.

Other critics believed that the school was elitist, that such a beautiful establishment was too much for such an impoverished nation.

Bloggers across the Internet disapproved that Oprah chose to build her dream school in South Africa, rather than in the United States.

More complaints included that Oprah was building the school just for girls and that she should have used the money to buy more schools instead of just one over-the-top school. Others called her school just another publicity stunt.

First of all, Oprah can spend her money anyway she darn well feels like it — it’s her own money for Pete’s sake.

And Oprah is choosing to spend a nice chunk of her $1.4 billion fortune on others — what’s to criticize about that?

For those who condemn Oprah for not building the school in the United States — our country already has a school system where children are guaranteed a free education. Plus, as Oprah pointed out, American children can often be a bunch of spoiled brats. In America, most kids want the latest gadgets while in South Africa, kids just want to learn and have uniforms to wear to school.

Oprah says that this school is her dream but South Africa is the country that really needs a dream. This is a country where the life expectancy is 42.73 years. AIDS is affecting 21.5 percent of the adults in the country, or 5.3 million people. Half of the population is living below the poverty line with 25.5 percent of South Africans unemployed.

On Monday night, ABC featured “Building a Dream, the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy.” The hour-long program followed Oprah’s journey as she developed her dream school, sifted through thousands of applicants and personally interviewed the finalists who would become the students at her school.

Oprah was looking for girls who had the “it” factor, girls who were leaders, who had good grades, who loved to learn and who would become the face of South Africa.

These are girls who are scared to walk home, but keep on going with a smile on their faces. They sleep with their families in one-room huts but stay up at night doing their homework by candlelight.

These are girls who desperately want to live a safe and fulfilling life and are excited to learn everything they can. This is not just another controversy or topic of the day to blog about — these are the lives of real girls who just want a chance. And for 152 girls, they have been given that chance.

Now that̢۪s a dream come true.

$50
$500

$50
$500

• P

Peter KhayombeMar 27, 2009 at 7:00 am

what a big human heart for Oprah to build such a complex for a school.
    Many African countries envy South Africa
    Peter

• P

Peter KhayombeMar 27, 2009 at 2:00 pm

Peter

• E

Erica RussoSep 23, 2008 at 6:55 pm

My dream is to get the Jonas Brothers here for Christmas. And I would love to sing with them. Dear Oprah,

I saw a recent show featuring a young lady who sang with Celine Dion. It was her dream come true. I also know a young lady who has a dream. It is my 16yr. old daughter. Her name is Erica. She is very special. She was born with a rare chromosome disorder. At the time she was diagnosed, there were only three children in the world with this condition. She is missing part of chromosome #10. They told me she would never walk! She won the 500 yd. dash in elementary school. She tries very hard to overcome her disability. She has been teased mercilessly by her peers throughout her school years. She still maintains her sweet disposition. She is very compassionate towards others with disabillities. I am a single mother and it has been quite a challenge raising her. She is very generous and loving and deserves all of her dreams to come true.
    Her dream is to meet the Jonas Brothers. We are currently living at the Crossing. It is a transitional housing program in Denver Colorado, for the Homeless. The Mayor of Denver, John Hickenlooper, proposed to all of the churches in the city to help the homeless.
    DENVERS ROAD HOME
    There was an article in the Chicago Tribune on 10-15-07. byb Stephanie Simon. Denver has made great progress since 2006.
    Erica wants the Jonas Brothers to come here and perform a concert at Christmas time.
    I believe a show should be dedicated to homeless families. People would become more aware and concerned about this major problem facing this nation today. Please consider the wish of this adorable little girl. When the Jonas Brothers sing their popular song, When I look into your eyes to my daughter, Everyone will need thier box of kleenex.

Thank You- Oprah
    God Bless

Sincerely,
    Christine & Erica Russo

• E

Erica RussoSep 24, 2008 at 1:55 am

DENVERS ROAD HOME

Thank You- Oprah
    God Bless

Sincerely,
    Christine & Erica Russo

JacquelineApr 8, 2008 at 7:06 am

How can I enlist on the Oprah Dream Big Competition??

JacquelineApr 8, 2008 at 2:06 pm

• V

Vilma AndersonMar 17, 2007 at 11:41 pm

I am so glad that Oprah can accomplish something so great for this girls. Good for her and the girls. Extravagant? The person that calls the school “extravagant” probably lives in a very rich neighborhood and he just wants “regular” schools, where the roof leaks, the boys attack the girls and the parents don’t have any money to send their chilcren to school. Send that reporter to live in one of those huts for a month. He will definitely change his mind. Good for Oprah and good for the parents of the girls too. I wish all of her workers or her “people” the best. Vilma

• V

Vilma AndersonMar 18, 2007 at 6:41 am