Diamond ‘Dogs learn they will play Santa Barbara in NCAA Regionals Round

After clinching the Mountain West Tournament title this past weekend, the Diamond ‘Dogs gathered together beside family, friends and coaches in the Josephine Theater on Selection Monday, May 27, to find out the brackets of the NCAA Tournament. 

At 9:32 a.m. it was announced via live stream that Fresno State will be traveling to Caesar Uyesaka Stadium to take on No. 14 University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB). 

When announced the athletes cheered and clapped after hearing who they would be playing. 

Diamond ‘Dogs cheer and clap on May 27 at the Josephine Theater. (Alexis Bruno/The Collegian)

“At the end of the day we are going to stay within and we are going to play our game and whatever happens, happens,” said Bulldog right-handed pitcher, Tommy Hopfe.

The Gauchos are undefeated this year when playing on their home field. 

“No matter what the seeding, the score, the record, none of that matters,” said Head Coach Ryan Overland. “We are going to show up 0-0, I’m assuming we will play Friday night and there will be two teams, two old experienced teams going at it.” 

Last season, the Diamond ‘Dogs matched up against the Gauchos from Mar. 31 to April 2, 2023 in a three-game series. The Bulldogs defeated the Gauchos winning two of the three games at the Pete Beiden Field at Bob Bennett Stadium

The Gauchos are entering the postseason with an overall record of 42-12 and the Bulldogs with an overall record of 33-27.

The Diamond ‘Dogs are set to face off against UCSB on Friday, May 31 at the Caesar Uyesaka Stadium with the time still to be determined.