Mathews ruled out for Saturday

."
Matt Weir / The Collegian Online

After suffering a mild concussion in Saturday’s 52-14 loss at Nevada, Fresno State tailback Ryan Mathews has been ruled out for this week’s game against Louisiana Tech.

Mathews was supposed to be evaluated by team doctors on Tuesday and coach Pat Hill believed his star running back would be good to go for Saturday’s game.

“We are pleased with the progress Ryan is making, but after discussions with our medical team, we all agree it’s in Ryan’s best interest not to play this weekend,” Hill said in a news release. “We will take every precaution to make sure he’s healthy before putting him back on the field. Based on how he’s responding at this point, we expect that he will be able to return to practice as early as next week and should be completely healthy for the Illinois game (Dec. 5).”

Mathews currently leads the nation in rushing, averaging 149 yards per game with 14 touchdowns and is a semi-finalist for the Doak Walker Award, given to the nation’s top running back.

He is one score shy of tying former Bulldog Ron Rivers on top of Fresno State’s all-time rushing touchdowns list.

Filling in for Mathews will be seniors Lonyae Miller and Anthony Harding.

Miller ranks third on the team with 276 yards rushing this season, averaging 5.2 yards per carry.

After leading the team in rushing a year ago, Harding has slipped on the depth chart and only has 14 carries for the Bulldogs in 2009.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• R

RobJul 12, 2012 at 12:44 pm

@Chase everyone knows it stands for Yours in the best of spirits -_- you must not be a dsp…

Chase LarsonDec 16, 2011 at 10:05 am

why would you ever post on the internet what YITBOS means you dumb fucks? You do realize that it’s private and if you earned the right to say YITBOS it’s a fraternal secrete that you just spit on.

Delta Sigma PhiNov 19, 2009 at 7:51 am

Yours in the Bond of Sphinx! YITBOS

Delta Sigma PhiNov 19, 2009 at 3:51 pm

Yours in the Bond of Sphinx! YITBOS

• R

RNACNov 19, 2009 at 7:50 am

Hill allows his players to rush now—–not in the football sense—–but fraternities? I see a Sig Ep logo on Mathews’ reflective cheek thingamagig

• R

RNACNov 19, 2009 at 3:50 pm

juniorNov 18, 2009 at 3:58 pm

That sucks!

juniorNov 18, 2009 at 11:58 pm

That sucks!