Campus Speak

“I’m not sure if it is exactly victimless. It may harm smaller groups by not actually buying their records. In general, I don’t download music anymore. I definitely did it during college.â€Â

Sarah Bernthal
Student Support Services

“I am a musician. I play the violin. I don’t make any profit from it, but for some people, they go to school for four years and get their degrees in that and they need to make a living. As long as the prices are reasonable, I don’t think there’s any reason people should have to illegally download music.â€Â

Cindy Peña
Liberal Studies

“I’ve never done it personally, but I do know people who have done it. I wouldn’t do it because I understand people want to sell albums and make money from it.â€Â

Mayra Franco
Liberal Studies

“We can’t afford the CDs with current prices. Artists should make their music cheaper, like with iTunes. You can find whatever song you like and download it from there. I don’t care about hurting the record companies but the artists — you feel kind of bad about that because that’s their work.â€Â

Kamy Martinez
Art

“I used to make all kinds of CDs from songs I downloaded from Napster and then my computer crashed. They told me it was from downloading music and I got a virus. I do think it’s wrong now, though, and that you should pay for what the artist has provided for you.â€Â

Stephanie Malin
Liberal Studies

“The artists should have some rights, but there should be a limit on how much of that they own. I think fines are too drastic. If you really wanted to protect your music, wouldn’t you put encryptions and things to protect your copyright? The industry itself isn’t protecting its own work.â€Â

Gavin Vukovich
Business

“I think downloading music is wonderful and should always be free. I don’t see it as a problem. I think the record company gets hurt more.â€Â

Dana Tockey
Liberal Studies

$100
$500

$100
$500