Spotlight Events’ “Carnival of Nightmares” encouraged Fresno State students to come out to the Satellite Student Union (SSU) lawn for a scary good time on Oct. 27. (Blake Wolf/The Collegian)

Students brave Spotlight Events’ ‘Carnival of Nightmares’

Fresno State embraced the Halloween spirit with a “Carnival of Nightmares” on Oct. 27. 

Spotlight Events hosted the event and transformed the Satellite Student Union (SSU) lawn into a dance floor where all the ghosts and ghouls enjoyed the monster mash.  

Admission was free for all attendees and included free candy, tote bags, card readings, mini pumpkins and bracelet-making stations in abundance.

The event featured a spooky maze that took students who were brave enough through a series of dark hallways with creepy characters decorating the walls, filled with scares that were guaranteed to get the blood flowing. 

One attendee at the “Carnival of Nightmares” dressed as a plague doctor. (Blake Wolf/The Collegian)

Along with the maze, there were food trucks, tarot card readers, mummy wrappings, a balloon artist and face painting, all fueled with music by DJ Kay Rich.

The event had a slow start due to the line to enter, which started in front of the SSU and wrapped around to the back of the Speech Arts Building.

Attendees were greeted by multiple clubs and organizations related to Fresno State, including the Food Security Project, Associated Students Inc. (ASI), the Cross-Cultural and Gender Center (CCGC) and Vintage Days. 

The mummy wrapping contest was one of the bigger events of the night, with Fresno State students Amanda Adams and Gwendolyn Edminston coming out on top.

Amanda Adams and Gwendolyn Edminston won the mummy wrapping contest at the “Carnival of Nightmares.” (Blake Wolf/The Collegian)

Costumes were on full display, featuring multiple dinosaurs, an Among Us crew member, a plague doctor and even Jesus Christ in attendance.

One event attendee dressed up as a crew member from the popular video game “Among Us.” (Blake Wolf/The Collegian)

The Food Security Project team members committed to  their organization’s theme with their costumes. Coordinator Michael Ballin was dressed as an eggplant, Jose Rivas as a carrot and Logan Mouawangyee as a tomato.  

The Food Security Project team members dressed according to their theme, with Coordinator Michael Ballin (left) dressed as an eggplant, Jose Rivas (middle) dressed as a carrot and Logan Mouawangyee (right) dressed as a tomato. (Blake Wolf/The Collegian)

The ASI booth featured a tossing game in which players were able to win candy and mini pumpkins. 

Food trucks were available for students, with Where’s The Food (WTF) reigning as the most popular with “freestyle fusion comfort food.”

Aguas Las Rancheritas was also a popular addition, featuring an array of flavors of agua frescas. 

One attendee dressed as a dinosaur while another carried a skeleton on their shoulders. (Blake Wolf/The Collegian)

For students on campus on Monday who are still in the holiday spirit, The Collegian is inviting students to trick or treat at its office from 5 – 7 p.m. for free candy and a chance to win a T-shirt.

Correction Oct. 31, 2022:

In a previous version of this article, the cost of admission was stated incorrectly. Admission was free for students.