Fresno State track and field finishes 6th in indoor Mountain West championships

Courtesy of Fresno State Athletics

Cierra Jackson at the indoor Mountain West Championships in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

By Cesar Maya, Reporter

Fresno State’s track and field team traveled to Albuquerque, New Mexico, this past weekend to compete in the Mountain West Indoor Championships. Multiple personal bests and program highs were set during the championships.

The competition began on Feb. 23 with the distance medley relay and pentathlon events. 

Sophomore Madison Hutton and junior Kaja Bins placed third and fourth, respectively in the pentathlon. They now hold the record for some of the highest pentathlon scores in Fresno State history. Hutton holds second all-time at the university with a score of 3,984 points, and Bins holds third all-time with a score of 3,784. 

During Day 2, Cierra Jackson placed second in the weight throw event, with a throw of 19.82 meters. This was Jackson’s second-straight Mountain West silver medal, ranking her as the third all-time thrower for Fresno State in this event. 

Also on the weight throw leaderboard, Jordyn Bryant placed fourth with a score of 18.45 and Trinity Williams placed fifth with a score of 18.24 meters. 

Finishing Day 2 with seventh place and a new personal best in the high jump event was Fresno State junior Kaitlynn Perez. She added 1.5 points for the Bulldogs with a 1.67 meter jump. 

The Bulldogs continued to set new program highs on Day 3 of the championships. 

Ceonna Pipion placed sixth in the 400-meter sprint with a time of 55.16 seconds. This was Pipion’s best individual finish at a Mountain West championship.

Another Bulldog who got on the leaderboard was sophomore Rachela Pace. She gained her first points at an indoor championship, placing eighth in the triple jump.

The Bulldogs placed sixth in the 4×400-meter relay with team members Chloe Sharp, Ivanna Ross, Brianna Sproles and Pipion. They had a time of 3:46.14, making it their best time of the season.

On the final day, Fresno State had four athletes make the shot put leaderboards for the first time since 2002. 

The athletes consisted of Jackson, Bryant, Jocelynn Budwig and Amelia Dipaola. Jackson placed fourth with a shot of 16.52 meters Bryant received fifth with 15.52 meters Budwig was sixth with 14.66, and Dipaola shot 14.22 meters to earn her eighth place. 

Fresno State closed the last day of competition, with a total of 49.50 points and sixth place in the competition.