Fresno State’s (5) Jordan Lau attempts to head the ball into the goal in the game against Air Force Sunday afternoon. (Blake Wolf/ The Collegian)

Bulldogs lose second conference game against the Air Force

The Fresno State women’s soccer team lost 3-1 to Air Force, extending their winless streak to 10 games to open the season. 

With the loss the Bulldogs are now 0-7-3, and 0-1-1 in the Mountain West, putting them in a tie for last place. The ‘Dogs also rank last in scoring margin per game among the Mountain West teams, with a margin of -1.50, nearly half a goal worse than the team ranked above them.

Fresno State started the game with a goal by forward Kassandra Ceja one minute in, giving her three goals for the season. The goal was assisted by defender Jordan Lau. 

Ceja scored again in the first half, but the goal was ruled offside.

The Bulldogs were in control for much of the first half. Five of the first six shots of the game belonged to Fresno State. 

Air Force had several chances of their own in the first half, though. Getting called offside ten times in the first half derailed any momentum that the Falcons were building. The ‘Dogs committed 10  fouls in the first half alone, which also played a part in why the Falcons couldn’t gain any momentum throughout the first 45 minutes. 

The second half was dominated by the Falcons. After being held scoreless in the first half, they scored three goals in the second half.

The Falcons had a chance to even the score in the 51st minute but their shot was saved by­ Bulldogs goalie Ella Wilson.

Ella Wilson warming up before her time to play in the game against Air Force Sunday afternoon. (Blake Wolf/ The Collegian)

One minute later, Fresno State’s shutout was over as Air Force leveled the score at one. 

The next 15 minutes went back and forth, as both teams had opportunities to take the lead. 

In a span of 1minute, 20 seconds, there were three shots: two by the Falcons and one by the Bulldogs.

The Falcons took the lead in the 71st minute after a turnover from the Bulldogs outside the box. 

One minute later Fresno State had a chance to tie it, but the shot from defender Tiana Beavers went wide of the post. 

After the goal kick, the Falcons marched down the field. A shot from outside of the box looked to be going in, but Wilson made a great save to tip the ball over the crossbar. 

In the 83rd minute, Air Force put the game out of reach with a goal from well outside of the 18 yard box. 

The ‘Dogs had a few chances in the closing minutes of the game but were unable to find the back of the net. 

Fresno State will attempt to end its winless drought when it faces UNLV on Sept. 29. UNLV has struggled as well this season with a record of 2-7-1 and is tied with Fresno State for last place in the Mountain West with a record of 0-1-1.